1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Lost My Contacts Trying To Sync

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gadgetball, Dec 29, 2011.

1. gadgetball

gadgetball Lurker

Is there no way to sync from phone to email and NOT just email to phone?
    I initially synched and got tons of duplicates along with duplicate phone numbers in each contact. So I manually cleaned up on my phone, tediously deleting all the duplicates. Then I erased all my Yahoo and Google email contacts thinking this was the best way to avoid duplicates and assuming the phone sync would transfer my phone contacts into my email accounts like my old blackberry was capable of doing.
    Not the case. It appears the sync feature on the phone only transfers contacts from email to phone. Am I missing something?
    How can I get my phone contacts transferred into my email accounts??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert

the gmail contacts sync both directions, not just one direction. Gmail website includes a recovery option to restore contacts up to 30 days old, so you can do that to get back deleted contacts.

once you have all your contacts in gmail, they *should* appear in your phone as long as you have the contacts sync enabled in your account settings.

3. gadgetball

gadgetball Lurker

Well I tried to recover in gmail but it only recovered about 20 of the 80 for whatever reason. And no my contacts did not sync into gmail.

Any other ideas...

4. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert

if it only recovered 20 of the 80 contacts, then it would seem that the other 60 were never on gmail to begin with and if that's the case, they're gone.

going forward, make sure your address book is setup to add new contacts to your gmail account and not the phone.

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

did you have them backed up anywhere? (like the sim card?)

6. gadgetball

gadgetball Lurker

I figured it out!!!

Its the "Send Namecard Via" option. Can send it to email account and then will automatically download into email contacts list when you click on it in the email.

7. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member

Or disable the automatic sync (battery drain) and sync manually when you need to.

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

I almost popped in to say how bad this idea is BUT it is a fantastic idea for other reasons

The drain associated with Gmail sync is hardly noticeable
    not all apps are this way which is why most battery saving tips give a generic "turn off auto sync

It rarely keeps the contacts up to date as it should.

The idea to manually sync is ideal because if forces the sync

I don't know how many times I have lost newly added or edited contacts because of the infrequent sync combined with my frequent software reset/from flash/device swaps

Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1850mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews