• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lost My Contacts

S

sakura-panda

I didn't like having my phone numbers showing up in my email contact list, so I turned off contact sync and deleted all the phone numbers from my iGoogle contacts.

I do not seem to be able to manage my contact list in my phone, however -- none of the default numbers are the ones that I chose for my previous phone and seem to be in a random order -- and I wondered if putting them into google online would be the way to manage them. I don't send email from my gmail account and don't really need them anyway.

I deleted the emails in my contacts and turned the sync back on. However, I got an error message saying that to sync I had to delete 34 contacts. I assumed this was my phone list, and I didn't want to do that!

I thought I told it no and cancelled it, but I just went in to call my child's daycare and my contact list is empty. :eek:

Is there anyway to get that back? Or am I stuck with repopulating the list all over again?

Also, do I have to use the online google to manage the contacts? Or is it in the phone somewhere and I just haven't figured it out yet? After this, I would prefer to not try synching them again. :p

--Katie

I didn't want all those contacts in my google so I originally deleted them from there. It made no sense to me to have phone numbers in my email and email addresses in my phone. I should have left well enough alone and not tried to go back and set them up again. :eek:

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Upvote 0
I didn't want all those contacts in my google so I originally deleted them from there. It made no sense to me to have phone numbers in my email and email addresses in my phone. I should have left well enough alone and not tried to go back and set them up again.

One of the best things about using gmail for contact info is not having to worry about reentering that info in a new phone. Lose your phone? No problem. Get a new one and sync it.

Upvote 0
LOL I see that now. :D I've always just had the contacts moved over at the Sprint store when I buy my new phone.

I have my old phone (original Instinct), so I want to see if there is a way to move the contacts off of it again or maybe I should just take it back to my Sprint store and have them do it for me.

I think this would also be a good time to update the OS although I'm not sure whether to try it myself or just take it in. (I have had good experiences at my local store.)

I'm going without my contacts for now while I try to figure out how to make time to do one or the other. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones