1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Lost my S7 Edge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Richardl1ng, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Richardl1ng

Richardl1ng Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2016
    Male
    Hello everyone! Please forgive me if i have posted this is the wrong thread as i am new in this forum.

Last month while travelling in Bangkok, i misplaced my S7 edge in a taxi and in less than 5 minutes that i realised i lost my phone i immediately went online to google Android Device Manager to try to track, lock, erase my phone. ADM did show my phone's last activity and etc but i guess the guy that found it immediately switched it off and did not turn it on since.

Until recently (almost 1 month now) i decided to try and track my phone again by logging in ADM and i realise that my lost phone is no longer listed in the ADM. Does this mean the founder of the has totally reset my phone or something?

hope someone can explain what happened.

Best Regards
    Richard

Advertisement

2. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I don't know the answer, but I would have thought that your phone would still be registered Google-side, unless he obtained your google password. And in any case, I don't think you can actually delete your devices on google anyway.

I find it incredible that for a phone with a non-removable battery that you can turn the device off without having to get through the lock screen. This is a major security flaw in my opinion. A long-press of the power button to show a power-off option at the lockscreen should only be allowed if the lockscreen type is set to swipe.

#2 Hawker, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  3. willie5094

willie5094 Member
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    "Samsung find my phone" you should be able to wipe the phone and lock it from there, only if you registered with Samsung.....

4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Found this handy bit of info on Trendbog.net...

"In case it got stolen, it’s possible that the thief has disconnected your device from your Google Account. If that happens, neither Android Device Manager nor any other tracking tool will be able to locate the device, since it’s necessary to be logged into your Google Account. This doesn’t apply to previously installed tracking apps but in this scenario there are none on the phone. However, there’s one last resort but more on that later."

So they probably logged you off.

5. Richardl1ng

Richardl1ng Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the reply guys.

One thing to note was that i have already done all the security features that ADM provided which was to lock, erase and etc when the phone was off.

Now that i can't even find my phone on my ADM list, how the hell did the guy log me off my google account? Would he/she have to start/on my phone to log me off? And if she had to start/on my phone, shouldn't google ADM erased and locked my phone since i remotely activated it?

6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    I'm not going to give a tutorial to potential thieves but it is easy.

7. Richardl1ng

Richardl1ng Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the reply dontpanicbobby.

Right. We don't need a tutorial but rather just someone can confirm that what you just mentioned can be done.

Oh well then.. I guess it's really goodbye to my lost phone then.

Thanks again guys...

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge launched in 2016 and was one of two of Samsung's flagship devices. The S7 Edge features a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 323GB of storage, and 12MP main camera sensor.