1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Lost Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by zowensby, Dec 2, 2013.

1. zowensby

zowensby Lurker

Last Christmas, we bought a Nexus 7 for our family, primarily our daughters, 7 and 4. We wanted something they could grow into that also offered educational apps. Worked great. Until they lost it.

The prevailing theory was it was inadvertently placed in sack that was delivered to Goodwill. If that was the case, the local store told us they would have most likely sent it to the regional office where it would be wiped and sold on their online auction site.

But I found this today, which said no activity has been reported since March 4, about the time we lost it.

However, there is no mention of a wipe. Would that show up in the activity, or some kind of note saying it was deactivated from my Google account?

We have had no weird purchases with access to our Google Wallet, no weird app downloads, etc. Which leads me to believe it has not been used since March. No luck pinging it or ringing it, as the battery would be dead as door nail by now.

Hope springs anew that it may actually be in my house somewhere! If I am being optimistic, let me know. But I feel like a deactivation would be noted on the account activity.

Here is the screenshot.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Sorry, but if the device was actually wiped, it no longer exists as far as the Android Device Manager is concerned. It's still listed, but the device connected to that listing doesn't physically exist out in the world.

zowensby and mikedt like this.
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

I mean you can continue to look in your house if you still think it could be there. Otherwise like Rukbat has stated, if the device was wiped, then it would no longer show up on that manager because it would no longer be registered to your account.

zowensby likes this.
  4. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

if it is a nexus7 with no wireless service.. then it would not be able to connect to a data connection to ever send info to google.

it gets wiped.. without being able to send any data

zowensby likes this.
  5. zowensby

zowensby Lurker

Thanks for the replies. I guess my question is how does a deactivated or wiped a device appear in the Google devices page? Does it notate the deactivation or wipe, or just say last communication on #### date?

I figured a deactivation or wipe would state so in the activity. Because what my activity looks like to me is that it hasn't had any communication since that date, nothing more. So, theoretically, it could be at the back/bottom of a closet somewhere, if that was true.

But perhaps it isn't telling us enough information to make a determination either way, which is what I assume is the case.

Any clarity on that would be appreciated.

6. dan330

if it was wiped... then it is a NEW device.. it would NOT report back to you or your account

and when someone turns it on.. and puts their own account info in.
    it is like a new device. it has NOTHING to do with you anymore.

7. zowensby

zowensby Lurker

I don't know if it was wiped. That's what I'm trying to find out. Is there any information posted that tells me if it has been wiped? I assume there is no way to track it's serial number to see if it's been reactivated?

8. dan330

yeah.. NO way... sorry

hopefully it is in your garage with a dead battery...
    if it is .. a battery at 0% for a long time.. will damage the battery.