• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

44fred

Oct 21, 2013
A buddy of mine who also has a N3 lost his phone yesterday. Great news is his drivers license was in the leather case with his phone. The guy who found it and returned to my buddies house was a great guy. He has the same phone and felt really sorry for my buddies loss. Without the license, who knows how long it would have taken, if ever. The guy even went to Verizon and was given no help!
This started me thinking about helping recovery. Since I've almost always used a case for my latest phones, inserting a business card on the back side is good practice. Those who go caseless, are limited.
I changed my personal information on my lock screen to read "If found please call xxx-xxx-xxxx, God bless, Fred". Just insert the number that will work the best for you. Now when you activate the lock screen, your message will actually scroll across the screen, very cool.

Reactions: ahjengmool
I do the same with my lock screen. Has my home ph# on it and "reward if returned" on it.

I found a new iPhone 5s at a large trade show last year and had a fun time trying to find the owner and eventually did. He didn't have a lock screen enabled which some would say is dangerous but if he did I wouldn't have been able to return his phone as the carrier was useless. I ended up calling one of his favorite contact and tracked him down from there.

Upvote 0
I changed my personal information on my lock screen to read "If found please call xxx-xxx-xxxx, God bless, Fred". Just insert the number that will work the best for you. Now when you activate the lock screen, your message will actually scroll across the screen, very cool.

I've always done this with all my dumb phones since the dawn of time (or thereabouts).

Upvote 0
I'm really not a tech kind of guy, (surprise right) so when I discover something like this on my own it's pretty exciting.
Heard on the news a couple days ago that 1 in 10 of us loose our phones w/o ever seeing them again. It's a shame we can't go to our carriers and pay a small fee to try and locate them.
BTW I can't imagine ever going back to the iphone.

Upvote 0
Get Cerberus. It's $4.00 but it's a one time fee and you can track your phone wherever. You can send messages to your phone. And in an event the person actually stole your phone, you can wipe everything and lock it so not even a new SIM will work. Also you can hide the app so they can't find it to uninstall and if you root, you can make it so they can't uninstall it even if they find it.

It's really a nice little program. Has features that the monthly fee apps have. Well worth the $4.00.

Upvote 0
I'm really not a tech kind of guy, (surprise right) so when I discover something like this on my own it's pretty exciting.
Heard on the news a couple days ago that 1 in 10 of us loose our phones w/o ever seeing them again. It's a shame we can't go to our carriers and pay a small fee to try and locate them.
BTW I can't imagine ever going back to the iphone.

And I thank you for sharing your discovery with others. Many times it's forgotten that just because a lot of us know these things exist there are also a lot of people who don't know which makes *discovering on your own* that much more exciting.

Also, add to your contacts ICE (In Case of Emergency) and the phone number of the person(s) you want called in the event you can't make the call.

Upvote 0
If you have a Samsung account you can go to Samsung's website register your device and get the website to locate it (by GPS), wipe it totally and lock it so no one else can use it (ever, without your password).

http://findmymobile.samsung.com/m/remotemenu.do

Just discovered Samsung are discontinuing the useful bits of the service after April 7th (in the UK at least), thanks Samsung!?

Upvote 0
If you have a Samsung account you can go to Samsung's website register your device and get the website to locate it (by GPS), wipe it totally and lock it so no one else can use it (ever, without your password).

Find My Mobile

Just discovered Samsung are discontinuing the useful bits of the service after April 7th (in the UK at least), thanks Samsung!?

I was curious that they were discontinuing this as it seems useful so I emailed them and here is the response...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The Find My Mobile service will not be discontinued soon.

Starting April 7, 2 functions (Track my mobile and Call/Message forwarding) will be disabled,
but the Locate my mobile function, as well as all the others except the two mentioned above,
will continue to remain available.

Thank you for using our services. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Kind regards,
Chris
Customer Service Center

Please visit our website : Samsung Customer support

I am hoping that I will still be able to locate the phone and or have them lock it down if stolen...it appears so.

Reactions: dynomot
Upvote 0
A buddy of mine who also has a N3 lost his phone yesterday. Great news is his drivers license was in the leather case with his phone. The guy who found it and returned to my buddies house was a great guy. He has the same phone and felt really sorry for my buddies loss. Without the license, who knows how long it would have taken, if ever. The guy even went to Verizon and was given no help!
This started me thinking about helping recovery. Since I've almost always used a case for my latest phones, inserting a business card on the back side is good practice. Those who go caseless, are limited.
I recently lost a very nice Bose headset. I had my business card in the case, and I received a call a day later with instructions to where I could pick them up. GREAT idea to pass along. Thanks.

Upvote 0
did you also know.... that google already has this built into your account?
go to your desktop computer.. login to your google account settings.

I have 3 devices... on this one account.
it can tell me where they are located.. make it ring..

also..
when your phone is locked.. at the bottom of the screen.. "Emergency Call"
you can add 4 phone numbers that it can all directly.
if someone finds my phone.. and they want to return it.. the can call any of those phones

Upvote 0
I was curious that they were discontinuing this as it seems useful so I emailed them and here is the response...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The Find My Mobile service will not be discontinued soon.

Starting April 7, 2 functions (Track my mobile and Call/Message forwarding) will be disabled,
but the Locate my mobile function, as well as all the others except the two mentioned above,
will continue to remain available.

Thank you for using our services. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Kind regards,
Chris
Customer Service Center

Please visit our website : Samsung Customer support

I am hoping that I will still be able to locate the phone and or have them lock it down if stolen...it appears so.

My S3 is registered but theFinf My Mobile (FMM) function seems to have stopped working.

If I turn off wireless and run FMM it should use gps. The gps flicks on for about two seconds them goes off.

Locatation is 3 miles out NW

If I turn of gps manually still same result and then run FMM same failure

If I turn on goggle maps that shows exactly where I and my phone are, so gps is working fine. If I now run FFM whilst G-Maps still on, the map on samsung website is spot on. Now turn off G-Maps try again - no joy but the location moves 3 miles the other SE.

If I run FMM with wifi on again FFM dead accurate., seems it doesn't work with gps, tried on my s3 and wife's s4 both the same

Currently awaiting more replies form samsung

IN the mean time if I lose it have to hope the finder uses wifi or google maps,

anyone else had this problem?

gorsebush

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones