1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Lost phone suddenly turns up...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by homey, Nov 6, 2011.

1. homey

homey Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Around 6 months ago I sent my phone to Samsung to be repaired. It was supposed to be a straightforward warranty repair (intermittent reception issues) but they said that the phone was water damaged (which it wasn't) and returned it to me by post.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, it got lost and never arrived. After much arguing, they admitted liability and eventually paid me for the loss and I went out and got a new Samsung phone.

Yesterday (five months later), when we got back home from the usual Saturday shopping trip,we noticed that a Jiffy bag had been pushed through the letterbox. Someone had written on it "Delivered to the wrong address". It was obvious that the envelope had been opened and then sealed up again. When I opened it up, my old phone was in there but it now seems to have a broken screen, broken case and broken battery cover. Much to my surprise, when I switched it on, it still worked and when I put my SIM card in and called my home number, it made the call and it also received a call when I called from my home phone!!

My question is this:

What do I do with this phone? Although it's pretty beaten up, I would love to have the luxury of a backup phone but I don't want to be doing something wrong or illegal. I don't know if the phone has been banned or something, if they will be looking out for it or if i'm just being paranoid!!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!:thinking:

Advertisement

2. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    If Samsung paid you and you accepted payment, it's theirs now. But maybe if you ask them they won't want it. Worth a try.

3. matey

matey Lurker
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Good question. I would call/write them and ask them if they want it back, chances are they will not, because even if you send it back they'll throw it in the trash.
    In any case it was not your fault that it got lost and damaged.

(almost the same thing happened to my 1 TB WD external hard drive, I sent it for repair and western digital threw it in trash and sent me a new one! If I knew it, I would have kept the old one because of my files.(there was only problems with power supply not the HDD)?! but they never hardly take the time to repair anything, I guess it costs them too much? I have seen dumpster full of mobiles and other electronics.
    (it was a warranty Co, and a best kept secret anywhere lol :D) I used to go pick up things...lol