1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

lost photos

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KimB, Oct 8, 2014.

1. KimB

KimB Newbie

For no reason, I lost all of the photos on my Galaxy S3. The sd card is not recognized, has never been, so they are not there. They are not anywhere in my files; they were all in my gallery and they literally just disappeared. Is it possible to retrieve them without an sd card? I've done some research on retrieving lost or deleted photos but it seems the sd card is necessary for it to work. Does anyone have any information? Thank you.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bynnda

bynnda Lurker

If you plug your phone into your computer can you see the photo files or the folder they were stored in there?

3. syedbilal093

syedbilal093 Lurker

Are they in your internal phone storage? Describe deeply how are they gone. Then maybe we'll get your pics back.

4. KimB

KimB Newbie

Thank you for the reply. They are nowhere. I've looked in my files, DCIM, pictures, I ran an android data recovery...nothing. Tech support with Verizon didn't help. I have not taken any pictures since I lost them. I do have thumbnails come up but of pictures taken and backed up long ago. None taken in the past year.

5. KimB

KimB Newbie

If they are anywhere they have to be on the internal storage because I've had a bad sd card since I bought the phone. The sd card had never been recognized. They were all in my gallery and were there Tuesday morning. By early afternoon, they were gone. There are only wallpapers I've downloaded but no photos I've taken.

6. syedbilal093

syedbilal093 Lurker

Sad to hear that. You are telling me that you haven't downloaded anything after that destruction so they had to have in your phone memory partition but they aren't there. Try to use a good recovery program and enhance the scanning level. Don't download anything otherwise your photos will be written by other stuff. Try a good program. I hope that they are still there. Tell me the progress soon. :)

7. KimB

KimB Newbie

I tried Dr. Fone but no luck. I've connected to my laptop and tried to import photos but it says there are no new photos on my device. Under my files on my phone there is a Vault which I did not put on there and in that file there is a cache gallery thumbnails but if I try to open it, it says there is no app to open this file. I never put a vault app on my phone but I do have Lookout Mobile Security. Is it possible that my pictures somehow got put in that vault? I don't know why else it would show anything in there.

8. syedbilal093

syedbilal093 Lurker

Maybe your photos are written by some other app data or cache because it is an abnormal behaviour that you haven't got your photos back. It is due to the fact that you've put your photos in internal storage and internal storage partition is written due to app data/cache if you delete anything and no they cannot go into locker or vault on their own. Something strange happened. I have recovered many data after deleting. I got my 500 GB HDD back after loosing 2 partitions. I got my data back by myself. Troubleshoot the issue. Use a good program. Search it. You will get something.

9. svim

svim Extreme Android User

>> I got my 500 GB HDD back after loosing 2 partitions.
    Conventional hard drives with their spinning disc media read/write/store data very differently than the newer solid state drives. Also all drives, either conventional or SSD, can fail or their file systems become corrupted in many different ways so recovering data is never, ever a sure thing. Just because it worked one time is no guarantee it's a sure thing.

That said, in this instance unless KimB's phone is having other issues (has it?) I'd like to assume this isn't so much a recovery-repair issue and more of a 'what happened' kind of thing. I'm really curious about that 'Vault' file or folder. Just glancing through Google Play there are numerous security-focused apps that utilize some kind of 'vault'. Are you sure at some point you or friend didn't recently install something on your phone to secure your photos? Any new icons you haven't noticed before when you open up your 'Apps'?

10. syedbilal093

syedbilal093 Lurker

Yeah you are right that it is quite a 'what happened ' kind of issue but i still think that if those files disappeared, where they are? KimB have you checked that Vault? Tell us in detail to know what exactly happened so we can help you.

jaymzway likes this.
  11. jaymzway

jaymzway Android Enthusiast

Means that I we haven't heard anything in return I feel this post has been resolved
    if they were saved to sd card you would need that sd card to access them
    photos are usually saved in a location called DCIM Folder.

I know it is confusing as for our gal s3 phones have 2 partitions 1 is internal sd 0 other is external known as sd 1

If all else fails you will need to try and find them through a computer navigate to internal card if not there try external root file manager
    you will need to have your phone to already have been rooted.

next last but least try the latest ver of diskdigger from the google play store with this you do have to have your phone rooted to use this and IT DOES WORK TRUST ME LMAO...

I hope this helps out if it does please hit the thank you button by doing this it helps others to get assurance that they are getting proper help.

Thank u syed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews