1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Lots of Captivate help needed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dllorenzo313, Jun 13, 2011.

1. dllorenzo313

dllorenzo313 Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Female
    Detroit, MI USA
    Okay,

I was able to sync my Google Calendar and Outlook just fine until I switched to MS Outlook 2010. It stopped syncing (even with my old computer which still had 2003).

I thought I would solve the problem by starting over and doing the factory reset AND at the same time get Froyo, which I can not seem to download. I even created a new google account, which I am really regretting. (I deleted my old one.)

So, the only thing I need to do before I turn it over (I have backed up my apps, my settings, my messages, etc.) is to copy my pictures and video from my gallery to my computer, preferably because my SD card is basically full.

I plugged it in to my computer and have downloaded Kies Mini and it is not recognizing it as a drive, which I thought it would.

HELP. Once I get these pictures and video off, I can start anew... which is needed, I think!!!

THANK YOU!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums!

I don't have my Captivate with me but if you go to menu>settings>Wifi and Network>USB Settings (I think that's where the settings are) change the option to "ask on connection. That way every time you plug in your phone it will pop up a dialog asking if you want to connect in Kies mode or storage. If you want access to the internal "sd" partition click storage, then turn it on.

3. dllorenzo313

dllorenzo313 Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Female
    Detroit, MI USA
    Thank you, thank you...

I tried that but the folder says "O files!!!"

So very frustrating.

4. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You do realize that the Captivate has 2 sd memory locations? Internal memory is partitioned into 2GB for the system partition and 14GB as the internal sd card. You can also place an external sd card in your captivate, but is not necessary.

If you have an external sd card, then that's what's showing up with zero files. Look for another drive letter for your files.

BTW and external sd card is a very good place to back up important data because if anything should happen to the phone, anything on the internal sd "card" will be lost.

5. dllorenzo313

dllorenzo313 Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Female
    Detroit, MI USA
    I do realize and know about the separate drives but only one is showing up on my computer and I do have an external sd card, which is not showing up on the list at all, and is quite full of files.

I appreciate any and all help because there may be something I am overlooking.

6. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I just tried it here both in mass storage mode and kies mode and both times the phone was detected and the contents of both internal and external sd cards showed up. What OS do you have on your PC? Perhaps you have driver problems, although that shouldn't matter in storage mode.

7. dllorenzo313

dllorenzo313 Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Female
    Detroit, MI USA
    Finally, the Bluetooth paid off. I selected all of my pictures, then opted for Share, and then sat for a long time as each picture was sent via Bluetooth to my computer. It is by no means efficient but it gets the job done before tomorrow when I have to go and get this thing reprogrammed! Or does anyone know how to do a factory reset from the privacy of my own home?

8. SunTzuXI

SunTzuXI Newbie
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    How to hard reset the Samsung Captivate

We show you how to factory reset the Samsung Captivate to clear all data and restore its original settings

Published on Jun 17, 2010

The Samsung Captivate is highly customizable and you have been hard at work tweaking it to your liking, but now the fun is over and you want to return it to its factory settings again. Here, we show you how to hard reset the Samsung Captivate with step by step instructions.

Please note that all data will be deleted from the Samsung Captivate as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

First, try this:

From the main home screen, tap menu
    Tap Settings, then Privacy
    Tap Factory data reset
    Tap Reset phone
    Enter your password, then tap Yes to confirm
    If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

Turn the power off. If your Samsung Captivate is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    Hold the Volume Down button
    Press and release the Power button
    You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
    Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    Press and release the Power button
    Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
    If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Samsung Captivate. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

link to original thread

9. dllorenzo313

dllorenzo313 Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Female
    Detroit, MI USA
    That post looked like exactly what I did. :) My phone and I are getting along quite well now since I rebooted and finally got Froyo. So far no problems.

Thanks, again.