• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lots of issues on the alcatel 1. I want to put a new OS on it or fix the issues completely.

Stumander

Lurker
Jun 24, 2017
I am using an Alcatel 1. Model is 5059T, Model types is 5033T-TSAU, Android version is 8.1.0, kernal version is 4.4.95. Phone is usaing a Joy1 operating system which is probably one of the worst on the ****ing planet.

And now for the loads of issues I have with this phone which I would like assistance in fixing.

When I restart the phone it doesn't show my contacts, only the phone numbers despite my contacts being saved to the sim card.

Quite often when I put the phone to silent and then back to normal sound it won't make a sound when a call or text is coming through. ANd yes I do have the volume up as load it can possible go.

In relation to the above issue it vibrates when I miss a call. I want the vibration feature deleted from the phone completely

I have been to many phone shops and they can't fix it

I find the phone lags a lot and apps accidently close because of where the home and back buttons are.

I have tried to root the phone with Kingo Root and it won't root it. It keeps saying phone is not supported. I though every single android phone was rootable.

I would like the actual samsung OS on this phone not this Joy1 crap

I would also like to be able to put the windows phone or Linux phone on it if possible if putting a samsung os isn't possible.

Please help the phone is making me pull my hair out.

An Alcatel(TCL) device.

Numbers and names stored on the SIM, there should be an option in the phone's Settings or Contacts, to either import or to show them. As I've never seen this Alcatel(TCL) phone, I don't know the exact details.

As for the other problems. This is a really budget device with only 1GB RAM, and a rather show and cheap Mediatek processor. Try and use a modern Windows PC that only has 1GB RAM, it would be painfully slow and have problems, that's very much what this phone is like. Modern Android versions needs a minimum of 2GB RAM, preferably 4GB

If the local phone tech shops couldn't help, so I'm not sure what we can do on the Internet with the thing.

As for root and changing the software, very much no chance. "one click" root tools like Kingo will not root Android 6 or above. And devs can't do much with phones that have little or no information available, such as phones made by TCL. Any kind of custom ROM or a Linux would need to be custom built for it.

No dev community = no fun.

Frankly if you want a device, where you can root, change the software, etc, it's really Google Nexus and Pixels, maybe some Motorolas, OnePlus, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: svim and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i would like to add something, but first i just want to say that what mikedt said was spot on.

I though every single android phone was rootable.

I would like the actual samsung OS on this phone not this Joy1 crap

I would also like to be able to put the windows phone or Linux phone on it if possible if putting a samsung os isn't possible.

Please help the phone is making me pull my hair out.
no, unfortunately not every phone is rootable. it depends on the manufacturer and how locked up the bootloader is. most samsung devices is pretty much locked up with knox security. any samsung device with exynos chip is rootable however. but the snapdragon chip is SOL which is pretty much everybody in the USA. so my note 8 is not rootable and will most likely never be.

and it is not that easy to port over another os over an existing one. for that you will need a development community which your phone does not have. if you ever want to root your phone, i always head on over to XDA Developers and check to see if your phone has its own section. if there is then there is most likely developers there who will support your phone. they are the ones who offer there own versions of your phone's os. these are called custom roms.

and like mikedt said no dev=no fun.

i'm truly sorry about how frustrating your phone is. but do not expect much when you purchase a budget phone.

with technology i always say:
you get what you pay for.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
i have the same phone and I have rooted it with the help of twrp recovery and magisk manager which i put with the help of linux. now I am searching for the os to install on this device. if you have some advice, then let me know.

Well northing's changed for this phone since June. No dev community = no fun.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: svim and mikedt
Upvote 0
Just something to consider but while Treble was introduced in Oreo's release, that doesn't necessarily mean Alcatel included support for it. Most manufacturers are pretty lax about including all the features that come with each new version, or they just don't opt to (i.e. Samsung won't include adoptable microSD card support by default).
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/android-8-0-oreo-thoroughly-reviewed/2/#h1
So don't be surprised if your Alcatel 1 doesn't support GSI.
https://developer.android.com/topic/generic-system-image

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Just something to consider but while Treble was introduced in Oreo's release, that doesn't necessarily mean Alcatel included support for it. Most manufacturers are pretty lax about including all the features that come with each new version, or they just don't opt to (i.e. Samsung won't include adoptable microSD card support by default).
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/android-8-0-oreo-thoroughly-reviewed/2/#h1
So don't be surprised if your Alcatel 1 doesn't support GSI.
https://developer.android.com/topic/generic-system-image
While you are right to question the support. Even the go editions supported treble. I have two budget Alcatel phones (one of which is a 5 dollar phone) and both support project treble.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones