1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root LOTS of Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Curtita1, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Registered Nurse for 17 yrs
    Jesup, Ga
    Sorry, lots of questions, but figured it was better to put all in one thread versus starting a thread for each category/question. I apologize in advance for any redundancy.

1.I'm a total noob to android, and don't know what many of the abbreviations/acronyms or terms mean. I am only listing the ones I've come across and don't know so far. PLEASE ADD ANY YOU THINK I WILL NEED TO KNOW.

They are:
    OTA
    RFS
    Flashing
    Overclocking
    Skins (I sorta know what they are, but not exactly.)

2. UI's and Rooting: I am not a total technotard, and can navigate a pc decently, but have no idea where to start here. I know Kelmar posted a link for GB I think....but see that there are others and need some info on each as far as the pros and cons to each UI. Please post any that I've missed as well as why you like what you're using. I am looking for smooth, quick response when moving between apps/screens, etc, and the best web browsing. I have found that I web browse more than I realized.

I know there's:
    Gingerbread
    Altered Beast
    Humble
    Gummycharged

Also, if there is a link somewhere for rooting for dummies that explains everything, I'd love to for you to post it! For example, I know I need to root, but have no idea how to back up my phone yet. Once I root, I have NO idea what to do next. I have no idea how to install and use ROMs.

Browsers: I'm using Dolphin HD right now. Like it pretty well, but don't like that I can't get back to the top of a page without scrolling all the way back up. Would love to hear what browser you're using and what you like about it.

Launchers: I'm assuming I still need to install a launcher after I'm rooted. I know there are several different launchers. Again, would like to hear about the different launchers.

As I said above, I need to learn how to back the phone up and also how to wipe???

I am using swype keyboard. Like it okay......still learning how to use it, but not sure I want to keep it. What's the difference in the keyboards, ie, I see that GB has their own KB.

Messaging apps............what do you use? My daughter says there are better messaging systems than what's stock. I had no idea LOL.

Obviously I'm a supernoob, so feel free to post any links that you think would help. I just need to find the easiest way/place to learn how to do all this stuff! I appreciate all the help. :eek:

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Answers above in bold :)

Feel free to ask for clarification, if needed, or any other questions you may have!

Curtita1 likes this.
  3. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
    As I said above, I need to learn how to back the phone up and also how to wipe???
    Depends on how you root/flash ROMs

Do you mean which UI? Like if I use Humble, etc?? I really just need rooting 101! I have your link saved to root the phone.......GB, right? But I thought it said to back it up first I thought and I want to make sure to save my contacts, etc.

I'd like to get the phone rooted tonight.

Also, what's IIRC? Sorry, guess I really am out of the loop. I wish there was a tutorial for new to android users so we don't have to bother everyone with such redundant questions. You know, a dictionary, abbreviations list, rooting 101, etc. I know rooting is probably exclusive to the device, but I'm sure there are some generalities.

Thanks a ton Kelmar, you are very helpful

BTW, where do you get the ROMs? Are they just in the marketplace?

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009

Answers above in bold.

You can find ROMs HERE. Notice how some say ROM and others say ROM and ODIN.

First decide if you want it based off of current release software (EE4) or leaked software (EP1H) then go from there!

*Not trying to intentionally miss any questions, but after you decide which ROM you want to try we'll worry about the getting you rooted part. :D*

Curtita1 likes this.
  5. mamawm

mamawm Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Curtita1 likes this.
  6. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
    Thank you! I will definitely check it out. I have quite a lot to learn.

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Moving this to the Root section as that seems to be the direction it's headed. :)

8. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
    Sorry. I almost posted it there, but had so many other questions I wasn't sure it belonged there.

I am trying to download odin and keep getting an error that the page has timed out. Other pages work fine for me. I had already downloaded the drivers and "official" downloading software, but when I click on the link to download GB, I also get an error, page won't load.

Any ideas to fix that? I will try it tomorrow on my laptop if I have time. Otherwise I'll have to wait until next week to dink around with it.

9. greenmunky

greenmunky Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Craft Beer Provider
    Spring, TX

Turn off or pause any anti virus software that may be running. They think ROMs are viruses because they are meant to rewrite your phone. That has kept me from downloading them until I remember to disable it.

Curtita1 likes this.
  10. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga

Thank you! I figured it was something like that.

11. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
    Still having issues. When I try to install the flashing software from Samsung it says my WinZip trial has expired and I have to pay $29 for it. Any other options besides paying>

Also, turned off the firewall, and the Panda security. Don't think I have any other security and the page is still timing out. Driving me nuts!!! I'd really like to get this phone rooted!

12. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Yikes! So odin isnt working for you at all? Can you get it DL'ed or just not installed?

13. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
    I can't get any of the pertinent links to open so I'm assuming its a setting on my computer as other pages (such as this one) open just fine. I have clicked on that link and just get an error meagre that the page has timed out. I an using Firefox and will try IE tomorrow.

14. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    If you click THIS LINK what happens?

It should try to start downloading Odin. Perhaps try a different browser? You are doing all of this from the computer and not the phone, right?

15. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
    When I click on the link I get the developers page with all the links to the drivers and links I need. I can download the drivers but when I click on the link for odin the page won't load a and says the server timed out.

16. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
  17. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
  18. Curtita1

Curtita1 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Jesup, Ga
    If I use Firefox, the page times out, If I use IE, I get this

Oops! This link appears broken.

DNS error occurred. Server cannot be found.

Suggestion - visit suggested links:
    Process ManufacturingAmerican manufactured Land Rigs. API-4F certified.Ph 713-426-1403www.processmfgcorp.com - Sponsored ResultapiBe Current w/ API Standards & Docs Purchase your subscription today!global.ihs.com - Sponsored ResultAquarium Pharmaceuticals30-60% Off API Aquarium Supplies Free Shipping, PayPal Accepted!Aquarium-Pharm.PetMountain.com - Sponsored ResultLink Terminals - Save BigLink, Wyse, DEC, ADDS, Boundless In-Stock, Low Price, 2-Yr. Warrantylink.vecmar.com - Sponsored Result
    or try search:

Plus, now both the computers I've been dinking around on are running ridiculously slow. I have turned off the firewall, turned off Panda or any other security software that I can find. As far as I know anyway. Very frustrating!!! Oh, same thing happens when I use the long link Kelmar. And yes, I'm on the computer and not the phone.

I'm sure it's a setting somewhere on our computers.

I am headed to bed. Have to work tonight a 12hr shift again with a 3+ hr round trip drive, so I won't have time to dink with it tonight. It'll probably be Sunday before I can mess with it.

I appreciate any ideas! Thanks for the help!