• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Love my Droid 2!!!

GeorgeinLA

Aug 24, 2010
I've had my Droid 2 for less than a week, and I have to say that it already goes down as my favorite piece of high-tech gadgetry ever! OK, I never bought an I-Phone, so I can't compare it directly to that. But I did look into that, and I was not impressed. I've been an Apple computer user for years, and I think they're operating system is definitely superior to all others, but I've never liked I-Tunes -- it's too opaque when it comes to understanding what's going on, and I don't like all of the DRM and other limitations that Apple seems intent on building into it. So, as soon as I understood that the I-Phone would be all about I-Tunes, that was it for me. I also require a physical keyboard.

I've been using a Blackberry for the past two years (contract), and I can't say enough bad things about it. Everything was more difficult that it needed to be on that phone -- email/calendar syncing, software/hardward malfunctions, etc. Gawd, I'm so glad to rid of that piece of junk!

But my Droid 2 has not only met, but exceeded all of my expectations. As a smartphone, it's just great. The keyboard is the best that I've used on a phone. The email/calendar sync including with MS Exchange has gone off without hitch. The screen is beautiful. And the whole Market/Apps concept just works perfectly for me. I think of what I want, find it, install it and moments later, my phone has new capabilities!!! Were it so easy on my desktop and laptop! If I don't like one app, I just uninstall it and get another.

The seven(!) home screens are just phenomenal too! So much real estate to work with. It all worked out perfectly for me because my AT&T contract expired the same week that Droid 2 came out, and it turns out to be the case that the minimum requirements for what I need a phone for in the Android space are Froyo and a (good) physical keyboard. A week earlier and there would've been no option there.

The Droid 2 is perfection. I seriously expect that Android will end up controlling all mobile computing platforms, from the most basic phones and media players, all the way up to powerful laptop computers. Windows and OSX will be left to fighting to maintain control of power-user desktops, corporate systems, etc.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones