• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Love my Evo but...............

Hello All, Let me start by saying I am a sprint sales rep. I like you am/was hugely excited for this phone, and rushed out to wait in line to upgrade my wifes consumer account at 5:30 AM on friday so I could have one before I had to be at work at 7 to sell them all day. I am astonished at how well this phone performs and its unique and cool features, however I have found quite a few things nagging me that I cannot do. I understand anytime you early adopt to something its ussually not going to be able to do everything you want it to right away, but Im hoping some android genuises might be able to help me out here.

1) How can I watch my MLB.tv subscription on this phone?
I was very excited when I saw that android marketplace now had MLB at bat in its marketplace, but hugely dissapointed when I found it does not support live games (like that other phone does). When I looked on Mlb.com for an answer it says Android does not support some sort of optimizition technique that the other phone does. Its hard for me to believe with the hardware backing this phone that it is not possible. The workaround I used to use on my touchpro 2 was to use the skyfire browser to login and watch it. However when I download skyfire for android and try to watch the game it tells me I need to download flash..is there a setting I might be missing?

2) Whats up with 4g speed?
I know this probably isnt great to be bringing up about the company I work for but I have not seen myself or read of anyone's speedtest on the evo exceeding the 3MB/sec barrier. The speeds I consistently see are outstanding by 3g expectations but not near what I expected of 4g espescially since I have seen our Mobile Broadband products consistently exceed those barriers. Is there something with device or software limiting these speeds?

3) How do I get movies on this freaking phone?
I have spent half of my day today trying to find out how to get movies in high resolution onto my phone. When I saw commercials for the HTC HD2 I immediately thought how great Transformers 2 revenge of the fallen is going to look on my 4.3 inch evo screen, only to find the undertaking of actually getting movies onto it that will maximize the screen's potential is proving next to impossible for me. I have read in a buch of other forums people suggesting handbrake to rip their dvd's to Mp4 format. I tried using handbrake and everytime I insert a dvd and try to begin the process all I get is an error log. Furthermore I am unsure if this will actually maximize the resolution potential. So after failed attempts at that I tried converting my Digital Copies from Itunes because I know that there picture quality is excellent after attempting using Doubletwist I found out all the movies are DRM protected and therefore cannot be converted. So my next adventure was to explore software that removes the DRM protection by basically recording the playback of the film. But it seems all this software costs like 30 dollars and results in picture/sound quality loss in the process. Finally since every forum I read said I need to have my movies in MP4 H.264 format I tried downloading a pirated movie in said format just to see if it would work no matter how bad the quality. After downloading and confirming the film would play on my computer i loaded it onto my phone and boom I had sound with no video. I also tried downloading multiple alternative players through the marketplace with no luck from any of those either. Any assistance someone can offer to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

4) Why will the microphone not work for some apps that it worked on past devices?
Not a huge deal but apps like flick my bic and steamy window have the ability to take input from the microphone (ie. refog the glass or blow out the lighter) on past devices (HTC Hero etc.). Are these functions just going to require an update from the developer to interface with our new hardware or is there something else at play?

5) When will the Slingplayer Mobile App be available?
I use my slingbox religously and knew going in that I was going to have to wait on the app for android but everything Im reading just keeps saying summer. Does anyone know a definitive date? Also just wondering since I already paid $30 dollars to have a registered copy of slingplayer mobile will I have to pay for this again. I know if I want the app on my itouch they want me to pay $30 to download the app so I am SOL because the registration key doesnt matter you just have to pay to download the app. Will it be the same way in android market where you just have to pay to download the app?

6) How can I run video to the screens in my car?
So in the past with my touch pro 2 I run the video out to the composite(Red/white/yellow) ports for my car stereo so I can use the slingbox to watch cable tv in my car. Now that they have switched to HDMI for the output how can i get the signal back to composite so that my car stereo since there are no stereos on the market that I know of with an HDMI input.

If you took the time to read all of that THANK YOU!!!!! And if the question I asked gets answered and helps you in some way please hit me up on the thanks button because this is my first time posting in the site and I could use the street cred!!!!

You sound like my husband LOL Honestly I don't know... it may work when FroYo comes out fully loaded in flash.. but Iphone doesn't support flash at all so I can't imagine that would cause the problem. Chances are (knowing MLB) they have some sort of deal ..

2. 4g

Well as with anything new - you will have to give that time.. I don't think its shabby at all to be pull 3mb down on a phone :)

3. Movies

Not a clue - there are some people here that really know how to do that..

As far as the other stuff.. not a clue.. I am brand new to anything of this sort.. but I know my husband would want that MLB lol

Reactions: DJMatthews33
Upvote 0
Would you by any chance have a link to any of the adaptors to get me started?

It can be done, but I am willing to bet the solution is far from the price and elegance that you are picturing. There aren't any cables that adapt the two signals, but there are converters, which are basically little boxes that take have an HDMI input, a composite output, and run off of a power supply. Take a gander at some of these. I didn't do any real shopping for you for better prices, but this is about what to expect:

hdmi composite

Good luck with your search. There might be some hope at some point for using the USB output with a composite converter, but, as I understand it, there is currently nothing available for that option.

Upvote 0
MLB - Who knows but if you figure it out let me know!

4G Speed - I got around 4.5 twice tonite, and 3's consistently. Thats as good as my home speeds most of the time. So I am happy. (In Dallas Area)

All the rest of your questions - I have no idea. Sprint TV came in Handy tonite letting my kid watch Phineas and Ferb and let me watch the game I was trying to watch.

Upvote 0
Hello All, Let me start by saying I am a sprint sales rep. I like you am/was hugely excited for this phone, and rushed out to wait in line to upgrade my wifes consumer account at 5:30 AM on friday so I could have one before I had to be at work at 7 to sell them all day. I am astonished at how well this phone performs and its unique and cool features, however I have found quite a few things nagging me that I cannot do. I understand anytime you early adopt to something its ussually not going to be able to do everything you want it to right away, but Im hoping some android genuises might be able to help me out here.

I was very excited when I saw that android marketplace now had MLB at bat in its marketplace, but hugely dissapointed when I found it does not support live games (like that other phone does). When I looked on Mlb.com for an answer it says Android does not support some sort of optimizition technique that the other phone does. Its hard for me to believe with the hardware backing this phone that it is not possible. The workaround I used to use on my touchpro 2 was to use the skyfire browser to login and watch it. However when I download skyfire for android and try to watch the game it tells me I need to download flash..is there a setting I might be missing?

I think that the current flash (flash lite) isn't compatible with MLB.tv. according to the MLB.tv requirements page it says:

"he MLB.TV Media Player is built on Adobe Flash Player and requires Flash Player 9.0.115 or higher to function. The MLB.TV Media Player will operate with Flash Player 9.0.115; For an optimal viewing experience we recommend that you install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player 10."

But here's an apk link to install Flash 10 on your EVO right now:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Adobe Flash 10.1 APK

I haven't tried to install it yet as I dont have an EVO until tomorrow, but I hope you get it installed and working.

EDIT: update - sorry I just went to the main thread of xda and it looks like the developer is still working on getting Flash 10.1 ported to Android 2.1. But I believe as soon as this works - it will enable MLB to work - or we just wait for Froyo.

Upvote 0
I have spent half of my day today trying to find out how to get movies in high resolution onto my phone. When I saw commercials for the HTC HD2 I immediately thought how great Transformers 2 revenge of the fallen is going to look on my 4.3 inch evo screen, only to find the undertaking of actually getting movies onto it that will maximize the screen's potential is proving next to impossible for me. I have read in a buch of other forums people suggesting handbrake to rip their dvd's to Mp4 format. I tried using handbrake and everytime I insert a dvd and try to begin the process all I get is an error log. Furthermore I am unsure if this will actually maximize the resolution potential. So after failed attempts at that I tried converting my Digital Copies from Itunes because I know that there picture quality is excellent after attempting using Doubletwist I found out all the movies are DRM protected and therefore cannot be converted. So my next adventure was to explore software that removes the DRM protection by basically recording the playback of the film. But it seems all this software costs like 30 dollars and results in picture/sound quality loss in the process. Finally since every forum I read said I need to have my movies in MP4 H.264 format I tried downloading a pirated movie in said format just to see if it would work no matter how bad the quality. After downloading and confirming the film would play on my computer i loaded it onto my phone and boom I had sound with no video. I also tried downloading multiple alternative players through the marketplace with no luck from any of those either. Any assistance someone can offer to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
!

Unfortunately I am not an owner of a brand new EVO so the only thing I can offer is some practical experience gained from my having nothing to do while everybody else plays with their EVO's.

I'm assuming that a lot of people that are having problems with their Handbrake settings are not breaking the copyright protection so that their videos come out garbled.

I have heard of people recommending various programs to get around this problem, but the only one I have experience with is a program called DVD43 (DVD 4 Free) basically, it runs in the background of your system and then any time a DVD is inserted, it will break the encryption of the disc so that you can then do whatever you like with it.

I would think that you can use this program and then follow the directions from here Handbrake Instructions for the EVO (Sorry about previous link, it has been fixed now)

I hope that helps you with your video problems. That means I don't have to rip kid movies to the laptop for long road trips anymore. Another Win for the EVO

Upvote 0
To convert DVDs I found an app called Any DVD Converter Professional. It costs $45 (!) I think. I haven't bought it yet, but the demo is great. The iPad 720p setting works wonderfully for HDMI out on the EVO, and looks great as well on the EVO.

Any DVD Converter Pro - DVD ripper free download, Convert DVD to iPod, DVD to MP4, DVD to AVI
Try using Winx DVD Ripper Platinum. For a while CNET was giving away the software for free. I tried using Handbrake to convert my music DVDs to an iPod Touch, but the quality sucked and I kept getting crackling sounds. With Winx DVD Ripper Platinum, the videos are excellent and the sound super. The videos should look breathtaking on the EVO.

Upvote 0
Good luck with your search. There might be some hope at some point for using the USB output with a composite converter, but, as I understand it, there is currently nothing available for that option.
cable

Would that be something similar to what I use know with the Touch Pro 2 only coming out the charging part instead of the HDMI?

Upvote 0
To convert DVDs I found an app called Any DVD Converter Professional. It costs $45 (!) I think. I haven't bought it yet, but the demo is great. The iPad 720p setting works wonderfully for HDMI out on the EVO, and looks great as well on the EVO.

Any DVD Converter Pro - DVD ripper free download, Convert DVD to iPod, DVD to MP4, DVD to AVI

this is what i have (got it for the pre), but haven't tried it yet.

you're saying use the ipad settings? there are 3; optional, standard, and HD. which should i use (or, am i gonna be the guinea pig).

edit: just dl'd a 720p iron man trailer from yahoo, converted it with ipadhd settings, and it worked flawlessly. 73.2 mb (that's pretty big).

ima go out to the local redbox and pick up something i want to watch and try that. brb.

edit: ok. got daybreakers dvd, converted it for ipad, standard settings. about an hour later (2.73 gigs), i transferred it to the phone. took longer than i thought, but was successful. go to play it on the phone "this file cannot be played."

it's on there, and i can actually play it on my computer from the sd card, but the native media player won't touch it. still working.

Upvote 0
Also just wondering since I already paid $30 dollars to have a registered copy of slingplayer mobile will I have to pay for this again. I know if I want the app on my itouch they want me to pay $30 to download the app so I am SOL because the registration key doesnt matter you just have to pay to download the app. Will it be the same way in android market where you just have to pay to download the app?

check their site. they have faq on this topic. iirc ,they have different stores depending on platform. if it's in same store, then no you don't need to pay again but if say switching from iTunes store to their slingbox store for windows mobile, yes. i

Upvote 0
Also just wondering since I already paid $30 dollars to have a registered copy of slingplayer mobile will I have to pay for this again. I know if I want the app on my itouch they want me to pay $30 to download the app so I am SOL because the registration key doesnt matter you just have to pay to download the app. Will it be the same way in android market where you just have to pay to download the app?

check their site. they have faq on this topic. iirc ,they have different stores depending on platform. if it's in same store, then no you don't need to pay again but if say switching from iTunes store to their slingbox store for windows mobile, yes you pay again.

Upvote 0
I have to say the software for Hotspot feature is uber slick and works as advertised. I found one thing intresting though! I would do a speedtest.net on my EVO and get 3mb (4G)(avg) and do a Speedtest.net on my PC connected through my EVO and get ~6mb. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? I do know my home internet service..WAY History!

BSOD(>-_O<)

found that very interesting thought you guys might as well!!

Upvote 0
this is what i have (got it for the pre), but haven't tried it yet.

you're saying use the ipad settings? there are 3; optional, standard, and HD. which should i use (or, am i gonna be the guinea pig).

edit: just dl'd a 720p iron man trailer from yahoo, converted it with ipadhd settings, and it worked flawlessly. 73.2 mb (that's pretty big).

ima go out to the local redbox and pick up something i want to watch and try that. brb.

edit: ok. got daybreakers dvd, converted it for ipad, standard settings. about an hour later (2.73 gigs), i transferred it to the phone. took longer than i thought, but was successful. go to play it on the phone "this file cannot be played."

it's on there, and i can actually play it on my computer from the sd card, but the native media player won't touch it. still working.

quoting myself to make it the last post.

Upvote 0

2) Whats up with 4g speed?
I know this probably isnt great to be bringing up about the company I work for but I have not seen myself or read of anyone's speedtest on the evo exceeding the 3MB/sec barrier. The speeds I consistently see are outstanding by 3g expectations but not near what I expected of 4g espescially since I have seen our Mobile Broadband products consistently exceed those barriers. Is there something with device or software limiting these speeds?

4) Why will the microphone not work for some apps that it worked on past devices?
Not a huge deal but apps like flick my bic and steamy window have the ability to take input from the microphone (ie. refog the glass or blow out the lighter) on past devices (HTC Hero etc.). Are these functions just going to require an update from the developer to interface with our new hardware or is there something else at play?

I use my slingbox religously and knew going in that I was going to have to wait on the app for android but everything Im reading just keeps saying summer. Does anyone know a definitive date? Also just wondering since I already paid $30 dollars to have a registered copy of slingplayer mobile will I have to pay for this again. I know if I want the app on my itouch they want me to pay $30 to download the app so I am SOL because the registration key doesnt matter you just have to pay to download the app. Will it be the same way in android market where you just have to pay to download the app?

6) How can I run video to the screens in my car?
So in the past with my touch pro 2 I run the video out to the composite(Red/white/yellow) ports for my car stereo so I can use the slingbox to watch cable tv in my car. Now that they have switched to HDMI for the output how can i get the signal back to composite so that my car stereo since there are no stereos on the market that I know of with an HDMI input.

If you took the time to read all of that THANK YOU!!!!! And if the question I asked gets answered and helps you in some way please hit me up on the thanks button because this is my first time posting in the site and I could use the street cred!!!!

1. Try downloading the skyfire browser from the market. It allows flash videos to play, unless the host has expressly forbidden their website from running on a mobile platform (e.g. HULU)).

2. Slingplayer is still in the works for Android. It may be a few months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones