• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Love this phone! (former winmo guy)

aleis

Android Expert
Nov 14, 2009
so i finally have all the kinks worked out (i believe)
battery life is amazing (based on my usage)
phone is VERY fast (i thank advanced task manager for killing apps every 30mins). my apps are amazing!
like 'i music tao', i download music for free!
i get 'shazaam' to identify the song on the radio, then 'i music tao' to download it before the song even goes off!
one of my all time best apps so far is 'celeste'!
it is an amazing app! it shows you the planets and the moon in relation to where you are in real time!!
its best at night, i load it up and point it to the sky (it works by using your camera so you see whats in front of you) to see the planets...im in love with space :)
i can go on an on!
i come from winmo...i was a serial rom flasher (i simply could not find a rom that did everything...and worked fast). winmo doesnt suck...it does get things (business things, stuff i dont use regularly) done. its just not a good experience!
i hate resistive screens, and i was not changing to another carrier (i heard tmobile was getting the hd2) to get a capacitive screen.
luckily verizon got the eris...and now my life(well...phone life) is better! :)
i dont see winmo coming back though...developers are not developing for it right now. if winmo is that good...prove it!
then when u have the developers support i`ll give it a second look.
and i dont mean apps on someones site!
but...i know they will get a very good app...and it`ll be $40!!
i dont mind paying for things...but on my phone...i want free.
if i cant get it free, unless i need it for my businesses...I DONT WANT IT.
and i want them on the market place.
until then, im PATIENTLY waiting the 2.1 update (im not really pressed any longer) and new apps to come out :)
until then DRRROOIIIDDD!:cool:

EDIT... 3/23/10 the nexus one is coming out for verizon.
see: windows weekly podcast (139) from 2 weeks ago on google listen :)

from my research, programs are going to run in virtual memory...if u have apps like i use (keepscreen, google maps, pandora) runnning in virtual memory...they are still running. using less (or no) memory...but still using battery. the OS has to maintain the state they are in...if the state is using gps or streaming...thats battery power being wasted.

"Linux uses a Least Recently Used (LRU) page aging technique to fairly choose pages which might be removed from the system. "

so it does kill processes by default...
however!
"When physical memory becomes scarce the Linux memory management subsystem must attempt to free physical pages. This task falls to the kernel swap daemon (kswapd).
The kernel swap daemon is a special type of process, a kernel thread. Kernel threads are processes that have no virtual memory, instead they run in kernel mode in the physical address space. The kernel swap daemon is slightly misnamed in that it does more than merely swap pages out to the system's swap files. Its role is make sure that there are enough free pages in the system to keep the memory management system operating efficiently. "

therefore...it can get to the point of OPERATING IN-EFFICIENTLY.
which would lead to sluggishness...even in the desktop OS.
and much like windows (mobile) linux does use virtual memory...having ALOT in common.
android is based off of linux kernel.
source.
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/tlk/mm/memory.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones