• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Loving Android Wear 2.0!

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    I had a bit of a speedbump, but it turned out to be my watchface and the developer got right to work on it and fixed it without stopping to rest!

My favorite aspect of Wear 2.0 has to be the ability to customize complications on the watchface. For example, we use Bring! as our main shopping list. It's on my phone, my Darling Bride's phone, and my Huatch. It's also an Alexa skill. Everything is tied to one account, so all we have to say is "Alexa, open Bring and add eggs to my list." Eggs immediately shows up in her phone's app, my phone's app, and on my watch. BETTER - I put Bring! as a complication on my watchface (Black Metal HD, love it) so all I have to do is tap that complication and it opens the app on my watch. I can do my shopping from my wrist! If I'm at the store and the Darling Bride remembers she needs basil, she can add it to the list with Alexa and it pops up on my watch. DONE.

For some reason the Bluetooth on my phone screwed up pairing with my vehicle just as a call came in. What to do? I answered it on my watch! It has a microphone and a speaker... that was my first experience with a phone call on my watch.

What exciting things have YOU found to do with Wear 2.0?

:)

Loving nothing at the moment as the latest update to android wear 2 has meant i cannot get my huawei watch connected to google accounts therefore no watch faces or apps available. Loads of reviews on play store about this with google occasionally admitting they are aware of the issue and are working on it, but more often than not, they tell you to wipe cache, reset watch etc. None of which work. Prior to that i did love my watch and got many comments about the stunning watch faces i had. Think i w ill be moving away from all things google if they dont fix or acknowledge issue shortly.

Upvote 0
    Wow, I've been out of the loop awhile and I had no idea this was a widespread issue. My Huatch is running great... I had a HUGE problem with losing the watchface, but it turned out not to be the watch but a complication on the watchface. I informed the developer, and I don't think he took a break for two days until it was resolved.

So you Huawei Watch can't connect to your Google Account through Android Wear? Even after a reset?

Upvote 0
    No, when you try to set phone up it loops constantly on that screen. It is strange as it had already updated to AW2 but i had to reset my phone after a phone update.
    Read reviews for android wear on play store or do a google search for "android wear wont connect to google accounts" to see the scale of the problem. Not just huawei but most makes of watch.
    Seems that AW2 is bricking loads of watches and google are not acknowledging it. Most responses on play store are to reset, wipe cache etc, and every now and again, someone from google will respond saying they are aware of it and working on it.
    I have tried all the recommended fixes, wiped every cache, reset watch so many times and ultimately reset watch and phone. Still loops at same bit.
    Really disappointed as i absolutely loved this watch up until this happened. I lost count of number of people commenting, even asking me if it was a real rolex. Now it is basically a watch with faces i would not choose to use as they are so basic and plain.
    Hope for a fix soon but not holding breath.

Reactions: The_Chief
    Upvote 0
    Well, with absolutely no help whatsoever from google i finally managed to get my watch fixed.
    As i mentioned previously i tried every hint and tip i could find on line but could not get the watch to connect to my google account. Found a new post last night that i almost ignored as it seemed to cover everything that i had previously tried. But as i was at a loose end i thought i will give it a go. Well, when i came to step to add account, my account showed up. I nearly fell off my chair but it is finally working. Here is what i did. Thank you to Mats-Ove Fant who posted this.
    Mats-Ove Fant said: Finally. After three hours I got AW to add my Google Account. Key actions. 1) First I did all the things to reset watch and phone (as clear all data for both cache and storage for AW, Google Play Service app, Google Play Store app and Google app on phone, resetting watch to factory settings). 2) Remove all Google accounts from your phone. Make sure 2-step verification is turned off for the account you are going to add. 3) Reconnected the watch, configured it and skipped the adding of the account. 4) Turn off WiFi on BOTH phone and watch. Seems to be important. 5) On your watch choose to add an Account. On my watch it opens AW on the phone. 6) AW informs you that you must add at least one Google account to the phone. I added my primary account and after that it was listed as available by AW. I chosed it and AW started to copy settings to the watch. I had to reinstall all my AW apps on the watch but at least it's working.
    Now it looks like a watch.

Attachments

• Huawei W1.jpg
      Huawei W1.jpg
      245.5 KB · Views: 484
    Reactions: The_Chief
    Upvote 0
    I thought I would dredge up this ancient thread to humor you folks...

We went to a play last week (Deathtrap, save your money) and there were three people in the seats next to ours. The guy at the end noticed my Huatch and asked "What's that on your watch?" I asked if he meant the watch itself, then proceeded to demonstrate the Huawei Watch and all the amazing things I can do, right from my wrist. They were amazed! And the next question from his lips - I SWEAR - was:

"Is that an Apple watch?"

:p

You have no idea how delighted I was to tell him that no, it was not Apple, it was Android, and did things the Apple Watch couldn't do on its birthday...

:D

By the way: if you're going to a play or theater, turn your watch OFF. Apparently it doesn't know how to be dark in a theater!

Upvote 0
    I thought I would dredge up this ancient thread to humor you folks...

We went to a play last week (Deathtrap, save your money) and there were three people in the seats next to ours. The guy at the end noticed my Huatch and asked "What's that on your watch?" I asked if he meant the watch itself, then proceeded to demonstrate the Huawei Watch and all the amazing things I can do, right from my wrist. They were amazed! And the next question from his lips - I SWEAR - was:

"Is that an Apple watch?"

:p

You have no idea how delighted I was to tell him that no, it was not Apple, it was Android, and did things the Apple Watch couldn't do on its birthday...

:D

By the way: if you're going to a play or theater, turn your watch OFF. Apparently it doesn't know how to be dark in a theater!

Possibly "Apple Watch" is becoming genericized, meaning any kind of smart-watch, and not necessarily the ones made by Apple. Like "iPad" meaning any tablet computer and "iPod" meaning any MP3 player.

BTW even here in China, it's actually quite difficult to find a place selling the Huawei Watches, and pretty much have to buy online. Apple Watches and the plethora of cheapo knock-offs of them, no problem! :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
    doc1964,

I just got my Hauwei watch last night, so I'm still catching up to some of the terminology. I think your post about connecting to Google Accounts and watch faces may be the same issue I'm having.

If I selech a watch face with weather, calendar, or mail info that part of the watch face is blank. I'm not sure how to check if I'm connected to my Google account or not. Will attempting to sownload a watch face tell me? By the way, my manual says not to download watch faces from the watch, rather use the Hauwei Watch App and let the phone sync it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones