• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

low disk space alert

Well, your top ten items are taking up 61 Mb of space on your phone. That combined with all the other stock stuff is probably the reason you are getting the alert.

What are these apps? Do any of them have cache that you can clear?

Damn you respond fast! The biggest ones are swype, documents to go, and some games. The cache is clear for them all. So apps dont install on the sd card? I though they did

Upvote 0
Damn you respond fast! The biggest ones are swype, documents to go, and some games. The cache is clear for them all. So apps dont install on the sd card? I though they did

Unfortunately no, apps install to the internal memory of the device. The phone comes with 159 Mb of free space when you first get it. This means that you currently have used 134 Mb of space right now. You are going to have to take a look at your apps and remove the ones you don't need/use that often. You can always uninstall them and then reinstall them when you need them again.

One thing you can look at are apps that are storing a lot of data instead of cache. I ran into this with slacker. It would suddenly go from about a 2 mb to a 9 mb app after using it for a few days. The only way I could fix this was to uninstall it and reinstall it. I never really lost anything in the way of use, but it did free up memory each time.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately no, apps install to the internal memory of the device. The phone comes with 159 Mb of free space when you first get it. This means that you currently have used 134 Mb of space right now. You are going to have to take a look at your apps and remove the ones you don't need/use that often. You can always uninstall them and then reinstall them when you need them again.

One thing you can look at are apps that are storing a lot of data instead of cache. I ran into this with slacker. It would suddenly go from about a 2 mb to a 9 mb app after using it for a few days. The only way I could fix this was to uninstall it and reinstall it. I never really lost anything in the way of use, but it did free up memory each time.

If apps are installed to the SD card, after a while, won't the phone start to lag like CRAZY?

Upvote 0
If apps are installed to the SD card, after a while, won't the phone start to lag like CRAZY?

After people root their phones they can install an app (forget the name) that will let them run apps off the SD card. I have not read of anyone complaining after doing this. Palm and WinMo phones have been doing it for years without any real problems. Android is actually completely capable of doing it, but Google blocks it due to concerns about app piracy.

Upvote 0
Sorry to jump in here, but I was reading over this thread and I have a related question: how do I delete an apps actual DATA and not the cache? I just installed the Quick App Cache Cleaner app and my apps all have low cache.

Let me give an example: I use K-9 Mail for my mail, and it says I have 73 mb of data. I know that's old messages because there are 3878 messages in the trash folder. How do I delete those messages? Is there an app for that, or am I hunting in the K-9 settings?

Thanks,
Harry

Upvote 0

Thanks for all your help. I cleared as much as I could, at least I don't have that annoying low disc notification anymore :)

Upvote 0
Sorry to jump in here, but I was reading over this thread and I have a related question: how do I delete an apps actual DATA and not the cache? I just installed the Quick App Cache Cleaner app and my apps all have low cache.

Let me give an example: I use K-9 Mail for my mail, and it says I have 73 mb of data. I know that's old messages because there are 3878 messages in the trash folder. How do I delete those messages? Is there an app for that, or am I hunting in the K-9 settings?

Thanks,
Harry

Some apps will give you the option to clear data. Go to settings > applications > manage applications and find the K-9 app. If it does not show clear data then there only 2 other ways that I know of to clear it. The first would be to go in and start deleting the email you have stored up. This is probably the best option and the one that will work. The second option would be to uninstall the app and reinstall it. Since I don't use K-9 I can't be certain that that will work, but it does for other apps. It is important to know that clearing data and uninstalling will wipe all your settings for the app too.

Thanks for all your help. I cleared as much as I could, at least I don't have that annoying low disc notification anymore :)

No problem. I'm glad you got rid of the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones