1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Low HD Space after Updating Apps on SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ecvorst, May 5, 2012.

1. ecvorst

ecvorst Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Hello all.

First I want to say that I have spent about 2 hours searching for this particular problem and have not been able to find a solution, so I'm defaulting to starting a new thread in the hopes that someone can suggest a course of action.

Here are the specifics:

Advertisement

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    First off, welcome to the forums. Sorry you are here having an issue, but hopefully we can get it resolved.
    ---
    I've got a question, are you using Apps2SD at all? Is your sd card partitioned?

I know when before I rooted (key point), that when I moved apps to the sd card, it really only moved a portion of the app. It might have been the data. As expected, I couldn't restore anything from these.

Now, with some apps, you can back up your .apk files, which are kind of the install file. Other apps will back up everything (.apk and data).

--

You know what I'd do, which might not be for everyone, if you've got the apps backed up with TB - I'd try out a new rom. Backup your contacts and sms messages, and give another rom a go. Then when you restore your TB apps, they'll just have to be updated and *then* you can move them over to the SD card.

-9to5

ecvorst and Rxpert83 like this.
  3. ecvorst

ecvorst Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been lurking around for a couple years now but have only now gotten around to posting a question (or a post of any kind, for that matter!). Fortunately there is a ton of extraordinarily useful information here that I've been able to find by simply taking the time to do a few searches. :)

I used Apps2SD in the past, but after finally rooting my EVO after almost 2 years, I figured I might as well go with a root-only App to SD option. Is Apps2SD a better way to go, in your opinion?

I did not partition my SD card before rooting ... I just backed everything up just in case. Since I've had the phone for so long, I have somewhere around 6,000 pics and 200 videos that I didn't want to lose in case I screwed something up.

Now that you mention it ... I wonder if this was leading to all the storage space problems I was experiencing before rooting! The phone just kept slowly filling up until I'd break down and do a factory wipe (2x in 1.5 years).

I will have to look in to that. Truth be told, I got so annoyed at looking at the damn low-space warning on my phone that I gave up 20 minutes ago and did another factory reset ... now I'm restoring things from the SD card using Titanium Backup.

--
    That sounds like the way to go. I did try the Cyanogen mod right after rooting, but got so pissed at the way the camera function changed (not-as-wide-screen) that I just went back to the stock ROM. lol ...

I'm also wondering if I can get everything almost back to normal with the TB route and then just manually switch back-and-forth from the SD everytime I update something ... maybe that will give me a chance to catch my breath and devise a new plan of attack.

Considering the EVO LTE is right around the corner, maybe that would give me a shot at starting from scratch again.

Thanks again for your help and any other ideas you might have!

4. ecvorst

ecvorst Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    I should probably add that while I'm nowhere close to being a computer expert, I have grown up using them since our first Apple ][+ in 1982. More importantly, I know enough to read read read (and then read some more) before doing something adventurous like rooting my phone. Hell, I survived typing crap into the Terminal (on a Mac) to get this thing rooted ... even if I only half understood what it was I was typing.

That said, I'm staying open to the idea that I may need to do some big-time SD card cleaning after almost 2 years of use ... then diving back in with partitioning it and then getting things organized and more efficient.

5. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    You know, I completely over looked the create date there! I do see you've been here a while.

If you want to try CM again, I think the camera is fixed. Last time I was on it, I don't remember any problem with the camera. I am on CleanRom right now and it sure is pretty nice. A lot of people around here are on MikG.... So there are lots of options.

You might want to look into cleaning out the sd card. It's something I try to do every so often, just because I somehow manage to collect strange files and dozens of app backups....

6. ecvorst

ecvorst Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    No worries! I'm probably an odd case ... having been here for a while and only now getting that "Posts: 1" by my name!

I may give CM another shot, especially if the camera issue has been addressed. Either way I think you are 100% right about me needing to clean out the SD card. I was browsing through it again tonight and was wondering how much wasted space I had going on there ...

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    There's a big difference between apps2sd and a2sd. A2sd moves the entire app and its contents to the SD card and just leaves a symbolic link on the phone. Your SD card has to be partitioned for this to work. You can update apps without moving them back and forth

Apps2sd just moves a part I'd the app to the SD card and leaves the majority of it in the phone.

8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    Jumping on this there are only 2 apps that will actually move the apps to the sd card the others only move a part of the app. Those are CM a2sd and DT a2sd. ROMS usually will have a variant of one of these. As Rx has mentioned you will need to have your SDCARD partitioned in order to use these. DT a2sd does have a flashable for those ROMS that don't have it built in. Backing up the SDCARD is as simple as Drag and Drop on the computer. If you have a ton of apps this is the preferred method to handle this issue.

Before Flashing a New ROM is when you should partition the device. IF a2sd is built in the process should be automatic once you restore apps. However if its not then a simple command will do.
    In Terminal Emulator or (TE) type
    SU <--- Root Privileges
    a2sd reinstall <---- has a2sd reinstall apps to SD and Installs ones that are not on the Card.

dustwun77 likes this.
Tags: