1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Low Memory (and Can't Move to SD Card)

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Kwing, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Kwing

Kwing Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    As long as I've had my LG Tribute 4 I've been getting low memory errors.

Problem 1: Google Play Services and Facebook collectively accumulate data until I'm out of internal storage. If I delete my data it comes back within 10-30 seconds, even if my WiFi and data are turned off. I'm not sure if this is because the phone is refusing to delete the data or if it's simply being redownloaded. If I need to download an application I have to delete my data once in order to clear space, and then continually clear Facebook and Google data as the app downloads to prevent me from running out of memory while I'm in the middle of the downloading process. I've actually considered making a Snapchat of deleting my data and having my phone bring it back within ten seconds, just because of how ridiculously fast it happens.

Problem 2: I have a 32GB external memory card, but 70% of my downloaded apps (NOT default apps) can't be moved to my SD card, and the few that do usually store data using internal storage anyway. I've tried rooting my phone and downloading Lucky Patcher to try and force these apps onto my memory card and it still doesn't work. After rooting the "Move to SD Card" button is still grayed out, and when I use Lucky Patcher I get the message "Moving to SD Card finished with an error (try again): pkg: /data/app/com.exampleapp.client-2.apk Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]" This happens even if I have more than enough storage both on internal and external memory, regardless of how small the app I'm moving is. The weird thing about this problem is that I can still move SOME of my apps back and forth. For instance, Pokemon Go will go to my SD card and even keep the data it stores on my card. However, Bow Stickman will NOT allow itself to be moved.

Problem 3: I cannot complete a system update for the life of me. I was able to get several updates to work correctly (probably firmware) when I first got the phone, but now it won't even attempt to download the new patch. (Apparently my firmware is up to date but my LG software won't update.) Even if I clear out enough space my phone says it's not enough. When I tap the Retry button for the download, a block of text reads "Waiting to download - 73.0MB" but changes to "Insufficient space available to download - 73.0MB" within about a second. The patch in question is named "LS660ZV5_01-LS660ZB6_01_update.zip" and from what I can tell it's almost a year old, so I'm baffled as to why my phone has made such a critical failure in updating correctly.

So to top this all off, my objectives are to fix both problems if possible. I want to get Google and Facebook to stop hogging my storage, and if not, at least send that data to my SD card where I have the space for it. Second, I want to be able to move my existing apps onto my SD card. I would move a lot of my default apps if I could (like BitTorrent, which is useful but certainly not essential for my phone to function,) but for now I just want to focus on stuff I've downloaded. Finally, I want to get the damned patch.

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    So you bought a $50 cell phone with only 4Gb of internal storage and you expect it to act like a $750 cell phone with 32gb internal? Sorry.
    I was interested right up to the "lucky patcher" part, then you lost me.

eshieldsvx4 likes this.
  3. Kwing

Kwing Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    Scratch that. Following this guy's instructions (http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog/har...rgin_mobile_lg_tribute_ls660zv6_01_update_fix) I was able to clear enough memory for the update, only to have it fry my phone. I went into System Recovery, but even after a factory reset it won't start up normally. So what I want to know now is if I can salvage my phone. Also my computer won't recognize it if I connect it, so that option is out of the question.

#3 Kwing, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Did you apply an official update to a rooted phone? That's never a good idea, since these updates are patches and intended only to be applied to unmodified software (and if the phone is rooted it's software has been modified), though you are very unlucky if it has rendered the phone completely unusable.

Your best bet at this point is to find out how to completely reflash the phone, locate a full set of official firmware and apply that. Unfortunately the procedures vary between manufacturers and I don't know LGs at all, so can't tell you how to do this. Unless of course you installed a custom recovery as part of the rooting: if you did then if there's a custom ROM for that phone, or if you used the custom recovery to make a backup, you can just install/restore that. However, I'm guessing from your post that you didn't do this (I personally won't root without a custom recovery).

Bg260 and tube517 like this.
  5. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    It's ill-advised to buy a phone with such paltry storage capacity. You can count expansion out the moment you activate.

Facebook is a memory hog and keeping it installed was your first mistake. I uninstalled Facebook on a similar small storage device.

I knew I was islanded when I bought my Lumia 530 and complaining about it here would be no more productive than the OP's current debacle.