1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

low memory, out of memory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jgirvine, May 25, 2011.

1. jgirvine

jgirvine Newbie

My Optimus S is suddenly telling me I am out of memory and I need to erase my texts...ok, I did that. Not 2 days later I get the same message and had only 3 texts....I have looked and looked trying to find where I can see what is using the internal memory on the phone (the SD card has tons of room). I have moved every app I could to the card. I don't feel like I have just tons of apps. I know my kids have way more than I do.

How can I find out what suddenly changed and fix this.

Oh, I am not very phone savvy.

Thanks
    Ginny

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert

What is your free memory in settings?

3. jgirvine

jgirvine Newbie

Available space 34.46 mb

4. dizzle16

dizzle16 Android Enthusiast

Before I got my optimus s rooted I had that same problem except I got notified when I went below 25MB. A really helpful app is "One tap cache cleaner". I could probably free 7-9MB by doing that now so try that. Also see how many windows you have open on the web. This is a midrange phone so its not overflowing with memory and that sprint ID crap was a memory hog. If you have the knowledge or acres to root I would do that. I rooted and now have 165 MB of internal memory on my optimus s. I have 70 apps (none of which are sprint apps, all market apps I downloaded or they came with my custom rom) and even with those 70 apps I have 80mb of internal memory and 92MB when I clean my cache. What I'm saying is rooting took my phone from mid-range to high-range. I got as much memory on my phone as my buddy who has a evo. I would try the chache cleaner first though. I rooted because I got this phone for free from sprint and it was my very first android phone, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have passed on the free phone and got the evo or galaxy s which has more internal memory

5. dizzle16

dizzle16 Android Enthusiast

Also try a task killer. I don't use it myself but some users thinks it helps

6. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert

Try cleaning your cache, but please, for the sake of everything good, do NOT use a task killer!

7. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

I agree DO NOT use a task killer. Download a Cache cleaner. There are plenty of free ones. There are other ways to clean memory. I do this regularly. Clear your call log. Believe it or not that takes up memory too. You already know about the erase your text messages. Also clean out your emails trash settings. On mine I have 3 email accounts. Once I delete an email it goes into that accounts trash folder where it stays there forever unless you delete it again. Pain in the butt it is deleting things twice, but that will free up tons of memory. Also shut down your phone and restart it every day or every other day. This gives the phone a fresh start. If you use maps regularly go into that program and clean its cache. Sometimes the cache cleaners won't get that. Hope this helps. I am confident it will.

LG Optimus One Forum

The LG Optimus One release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 3MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews