• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Low Memory

Hi Steven,

Can you let us know what you're running on your Desire? If you have apps on the SD, you must have Android 2.2. But, is this stock or a custom rom? Have you rooted? What apps have you installed? Go into Manage Applications and sort by size to see which are the largest.

If you're running stock 2.2 and the standard method of copying over to SD after the install, it's inefficient in comparison to other ways.

Please post more info so we can make some relevant suggestions as to how you might cure the problem.

All the best,
Jim

Upvote 0
Between the Adobe and Maps data, that's a fair sized chunk of 34Mb taken, but should still leave you around 100Mb to play with. So, what's eating the 85Mb you seem to be missing? Another 12 apps on the phone are unlikely to take up that much space between them. You could clear your caches, but again, they are not going to be anything like that big.

I'm not sure what else would account for it. I am baffled.

Upvote 0
What is the best way to move apps etc to the card? You say there are better ways... I have Astro installed if that helps :)

I haven't even worked out the regular way to move them across yet on the new 2.2!
The best way is to install a custom rom and use A2SD+.

To give you an example (and maybe an incentive ;)), I currently run LeeDroid's 2.2 Sense rom and have 103 apps installed, yet still with 109Mb free space to play with. Since rooting and flashing a new rom, I haven't once considered the space on my phone.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem

I only have a few apps installed

RAC
3g Watchdog
Angry Bird
Barcode scanner
score center
Astro

and I keep getting the error message about low memory

I have looked to see which programmes are using memory and it was

Angry Birds 14mb
Contact Storage 8
Maps 7mb
Quickoffice 5mb
Mail 4mb
Facebook 4mb
Vlingo Voice 4mb
Astro 3.5mb

and then loads which are 2mb and 1mb

Is this about right?

How do I install a custom rom?

Upvote 0
Hi mattrsa - you've listed just about 50Mb of games and apps there. Each will probably have cache files and data files stored in addition to the actual app. Add to that the others you mention, plus contacts, emails, SMS/MMS, cache etc. then it's not too surprising you're running low.

The only way you'll help this is to run Froyo so that you can copy to SD. To get as close to a cure as is possible is to install a custom rom as I mentioned in my last post.

Upvote 0
I'm getting this frequently too now (Unrooted HTC Desire running Froyo on T-Mobile UK)

DiskUsage app reports the following for Internal Storage:

Total Data and Cache = 187.6 MB (er, shouldn't this be closer to 512MB?)

Comprising:
  • Applications = 108.9 MB
  • System data = 31.5 MB
  • Free space = 47.2 MB (what's the threshold for "low" - 50 MB?)

Applications has:
  • Contact storage (11.1 MB)
  • Maps (10.8 MB)
  • Swype (6.07 MB)
  • Vlingo (5.42 MB)
  • Facebook (5.18 MB)
  • Spotify (4.95 MB)
  • Gmail (3.81 MB)
  • Others

Any advice? I can't install the Flash update, had to remove Skype, looks like Vlingo will have to go...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones