• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Low Memory"

Is your device laggy? You could always download a task manager to force kill running apps, but this isn't a problem on Gingerbread, or even Froyo or Elclair IIRC, as they're better about running apps. Lastly, I would recommend getting AutoStarts, which I believe requires root access (may be a turn off?), but it prohibits apps from "auto-starting" when xyz occurs. For example, Handcent wanted to start every time I opened my camera, but this is unnecessary, so I was able to block it.

Upvote 0
Is your device laggy? You could always download a task manager to force kill running apps, but this isn't a problem on Gingerbread, or even Froyo or Elclair IIRC, as they're better about running apps. Lastly, I would recommend getting AutoStarts, which I believe requires root access (may be a turn off?), but it prohibits apps from "auto-starting" when xyz occurs. For example, Handcent wanted to start every time I opened my camera, but this is unnecessary, so I was able to block it.

Yes it is very laggy. Especially when running Temple Run or Angry Birds. I currently have a task manager running and its' auto-kill level is very high. I would prefer not to root my phone. Are there any other alternatives?

Upvote 0
I was having similar issues. I too was leary of rooting my device. I finally got frustrated enough to learn and deploy Root and change my firmware. It was really a lot easier than I thought thanks to the great posts on the ROOT forum.

The difference was remarkable. My phone is now super fast, great battery life, and looks pretty amazing. Got rid of all the MOTO CRAP and just have what I want on my device.

Best thing I ever did to my Droid :D

Upvote 0
I was having similar issues. I too was leary of rooting my device. I finally got frustrated enough to learn and deploy Root and change my firmware. It was really a lot easier than I thought thanks to the great posts on the ROOT forum.

The difference was remarkable. My phone is now super fast, great battery life, and looks pretty amazing. Got rid of all the MOTO CRAP and just have what I want on my device.

Best thing I ever did to my Droid :D

Under my contract I can buy a new phone in November...Rooting scare the daylights out of me BUT, If I can ghost my old phone onto a new one, then my old phone can be used to experiment and then the question becomes (assuming I do not destroy the phone), is a rooted Droid III better than a stock new whatever??

I really dislike having all the junk apps stuffed on my phone and have no idea which of them are really needed to keep the phone operating and which are simply Verizon's way of getting App developers to feed Verizon's profit margin.

In fact, what would be very useful for amateurs like me is a list of apps that come on the phone that are actually needed to operate the phone and which are junk added to pump Verizon's bottom line.

Upvote 0
Under my contract I can buy a new phone in November...Rooting scare the daylights out of me BUT, If I can ghost my old phone onto a new one, then my old phone can be used to experiment and then the question becomes (assuming I do not destroy the phone), is a rooted Droid III better than a stock new whatever??

I really dislike having all the junk apps stuffed on my phone and have no idea which of them are really needed to keep the phone operating and which are simply Verizon's way of getting App developers to feed Verizon's profit margin.

In fact, what would be very useful for amateurs like me is a list of apps that come on the phone that are actually needed to operate the phone and which are junk added to pump Verizon's bottom line.

Rooting is very simple, just a single click in fact. If you go poke around on in the root section, there are step by step guides on rooting and have been lists of safe-to-remove apps since the day we got root. :)

Upvote 0
Just my $0.02 but I was using "Advanced Task Killer". The agent at Verizon put it on my phone. It annihilated my phone. Mine was lagging terribly. If that's the task killer you're using, I would suggest getting rid of it. I use Go Task Manager now. But I rooted my phone. I never put in a custom ROM. I just stripped all the BS Verizon crap out of it. Try anything but ATK.

Don't judge how bad you're lagging with "Angry Birds" though. That is a HOG by any standard.

Upvote 0
@ OP: Don't let rooting your phone scare you, it's actually quite simple. I've had all the Droid variants and rooted them all. With no real programming or computer experience. I would recommend reading up on it on this site, droidforums.net, and XDAdevelopers. A simple google search will kick up anything else you might need, it's easier and safer than you think. Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones