1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Low on memory?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jessicalt1, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Jessicalt1

Jessicalt1 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Credit Card Fraud
    Michigan
    I keep getting notices that my phone is low on memory. I've tried moving apps to SD, and I've deleted some as well... any suggestions? Will rooting help at all?

Advertisement

2. apinkel

apinkel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    One of the biggest things that chews up memory for me is temp memory (i.e. cache) used by apps. Cleaning up app cache has been the best way I've found to reclaim space.

I use a free app called App Cache Cleaner... install it, run it, then hit the sort by button so it sorts the apps by the amount of cache they are using. You can then select the apps that use the most space and go into the android application setting dialog to clear the cache for each app.

Also, un-install any apps you aren't using.

If you are still low on space you can root your phone and install a custom rom most of which are optimized to reduce the amount of memory used.

Jessicalt1 likes this.
  3. fidodido

fidodido Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2010
    Male
    Los Angeles
    FWIW, I've been getting these as well, most because of Amazon's free apps. :)

But I have definitely noticed that there's a significant lag to these messages. If you free up memory, it still takes a minute or two for the phone to realize it.

If nothing else, it does force me to decide what apps are and aren't truly necessary.

4. Jessicalt1

Jessicalt1 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Credit Card Fraud
    Michigan
    LOL, I started getting them when I downloaded the AZ App store too... dang Angry Birds for free... lol.