• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help low on ram

Metusion

Aug 25, 2010
I use the task manager widget and every time I check it shows about 50 mb ram left.. This seems quite low considering I barely use any widgets and programs that run in the background besides the stock programs. I don't like using task killer that much as it kills battery and within 5 minutes it's back at 50 mb ram again. The phone does seem to go slower fast.. How can I check which app is using most of the ram? Is there an app to check this? It's a bit anyoing because others say it stays around 100 mb.. wasn't this phone supposed to have 512 mb ram anyway?

I use the task manager widget and every time I check it shows about 50 mb ram left.. This seems quite low considering I barely use any widgets and programs that run in the background besides the stock programs. I don't like using task killer that much as it kills battery and within 5 minutes it's back at 50 mb ram again. The phone does seem to go slower fast.. How can I check which app is using most of the ram? Is there an app to check this? It's a bit anyoing because others say it stays around 100 mb.. wasn't this phone supposed to have 512 mb ram anyway?

Firstly download Task Manager from Samsung Apps if you haven't already. It will show you what's using up your ram/cpu and will also let you kill apps.

Personally, when I feel like my phone is running slow all of a sudden, I kill any app I don't want running. Which is usually Internet, Market, Music player etc. Anything that I'm not currently using or used but didn't close. Using task manager doesn't have much bearing on your battery life.

Secondly the ram management in Android phones is extremely good. It's caching stuff for you so next time you open it it will be instant. Don't stress about having only 50mb of ram left.

Thirdly, The phone does have 512mb of ram but the OS locks 186mb of it hence why you can only see 326mb. Apparently Froyo uses less ram and your available ram will actually go up. (This happened with the Nexus 1)

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones