1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

"Low on Space" - Android Mail 581mb!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by srwafu, May 19, 2011.

1. srwafu

srwafu Lurker

Hi everyone.

I've tried searching around, but I dont find anything specifically about this. My phone started recently reporting Low on Space for internal storage. I have moved as many apps as I can to the SD card, so I only have the apps that I can not move on the phones memory, and really not many.

What shocked me was the phone is showing me that the mail app is using up 581mb of space! Even after I REMOVE the e-mail account!

How can this app be taking up so much space, when there is no e-mail account registered on the phone anymore - what happened to all that space?

Anyone else experienced this?

Im on a HTC Desire HD, Android 2.3.3 - HTC Sense 2.1, kernel 2.6.35.10-g0956377

Thanks in advance for any help

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

That 581mb is probably the sum of all the mails you've downloaded onto your handset. You may have deleted the mail account associated with the phone, but not the actual mails themselves. Can you Clear Data for the mail app via the apps menu?

3. srwafu

srwafu Lurker

I thought that might be it too - but before I removed the account I had no clear data option, I changed the sync time to just 2 days of mails, but it was the same, so then I removed the account - restarted the phone, but still the same amount of space being used, and no clear data option :/

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I know using Astro or ES File Explorer, you can search for files and folders on the SD Card which are taking up the most space, I'm not sure if they can search the actual phone memory itself unless you're rooted.

It's worth giving it a shot?

5. mattinoz

mattinoz Lurker

Same problem here - solved (for now, at least, for me...)

I had the "Low on Space" warning, and found that the mail app was using a massive 770MB!!
    I deleted current mail and checked it had gone from trash also - next-to-no difference.
    I deleted the email account - no difference.

After lots of searching....

Following these instructions for TEMP ROOT here:
    http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/383322-guide-temp-root-any-dhd-gb-build-downgrade-1-32-405-6-easy-follow.html
    I gained temporary root access, and tried deleting large number of files in the files in /data/data/com.htc.android.mail/ (which appeared to be the attachments of emails deleted long ago). This made a small, but still not significant difference. I searched through the file system some more but couldn't find where all this memory was being used.

What worked for me, once I had temp root, was the pm command. At the # commend line of temp root, type pm for an explanation of its usage.
    I used the command:
    Code (Text):
    1. pm clear com.htc.android.mail
    to "delete all data associated with the package"... which reduced mail's usage from 700MB+ to 64kB :)

(Obviously, if I hadn't already deleted it, my email account and mail would have been swept away also...)
    Now... to more carefully setup my email account again...

El Presidente likes this.

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews