• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Low on Space getting annoying

Well, for the past couple of days I've been getting that warning. I've tried clearing all caches, removing any spare apps, even those I stored on the card. I've only 15 downloaded apps, and a total of 18kb free on the phone memory.

I am not confident enough to attempt rooting the phone, so it's not an option right now.

Any ideas? Thanks

Upvote 0
I agree that the rooting + flashing procedure seems tedious as ****. Every time I feel like I want to do it I go to the rooting forums to read FAQs and other threads, and literally ALL I see is people complaining about something that went wrong during the rooting, or a phone not turning on anymore after flashing, or the inability to update to newer versions, literally tons of bugs. Programmers really gotta get their shit together...

So, unless someone can point me to a working, stable, regularly updated, not full of bugs, working for all versions of htc desire (and not: 'ok you need to back up everything, wipe everything, update your phone by using X and uninstalling HTC sync then reinstalling it then installing Y then re-installing HTC sync then install 25 different softwares to make it work'), I guess I'll stay with a non-rooted Desire :/

Upvote 0
I have been having a few low memory messages recently, although i have a fair amount of apps on my phone, so not surprised.
Found out the my movies app, which had been moved to SD, still was taking up 6MB due to data. I cleared this and it dropped to 800kb, i then opened the app to find out what that resulted in. Seems that nothing was different and in the options, it had the ability to cache (i presume the trailers and data) up to 8MB (thought originally that may go to SD card), but was actually hogging phone memory.
So try clearing data for apps that really shouldn't have much of a memory footprint (use with caution) to see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Errr no. Rooters really need to understand what they are doing and read up on the subject first, and not being surprised when they rushed into something and made a hash of it.

Sorry if my post came out a bit too offensive. I know you and a couple of other people spend time writing useful FAQs and help posts, answering dumb questions from n00bs like me, etc. But you have to admit that:
  • there are a lot of people complaining about something that went wrong
  • some of the processes are tedious, like, having to uninstall htcsync, wipe, install another program, install htcsync again, and so on
  • there are thousands of different ROMs and the difference are not very clear (and sometimes roms are actually built over other roms & such... like, when I wanted to check DeFrost, the initial message is
    Froyo AOSP FRG83 & CyanogenMod Framework/Packages
    Kernel 2.6.35 OCUV (Big thanks to Kali- and deovferreira)
    CFQ scheduler
    can't say this is very appealing to casual users... what does this all mean?)
  • you can't benefit from updates like Gingerbread when they come out because the developer first has to adapt it to the mod
  • etc.

And for all these reasons, the process of flashing can hold back quite a lot of people when it could in fact be made much easier (or at least, that's what I think...)

For example.
I want to install (flash?) a ROM that will allow me to use A2SD+, that is faster than the stock ROM, that will allow me to keep the useful HTC Sense features, and with which I can easily set back the Launcherpro UI that I've set up on my Desire. What should I choose?
Cheers

Upvote 0
I do see what you're saying.

Sorry if my post came out a bit too offensive. I know you and a couple of other people spend time writing useful FAQs and help posts, answering dumb questions from n00bs like me, etc. But you have to admit that:
  • there are a lot of people complaining about something that went wrong

True, sometimes things are unavoidable. But with reading, questions and preparation, most eventualities are covered

• some of the processes are tedious, like, having to uninstall htcsync, wipe, install another program, install htcsync again, and so on
HTC Sync uninstall is just a one off during the rooting process to make sure it doesn't mess things up. The process of rooting itself is pretty straight forward, if following a good, recommended guide.

The other programme (unrEVOKed) just runs from the .exe

• there are thousands of different ROMs and the difference are not very clear (and sometimes roms are actually built over other roms & such... like, when I wanted to check DeFrost, the initial message is can't say this is very appealing to casual users... what does this all mean?)

There are a few roms out there.

There are 2 original sources

1)HTC Roms

2)AOSP (Android Open source project) for developers to build themselves from source codes. These are vanilla (i.e. no Sense)

All roms fit into one of these categories.

Defrost is based on Cyanogen, which is another rom based on AOSP. These are generally much faster and cleaner than Sense roms

Leedroid is based on MoDaCo, which is another rom based on HTC official releases.

• you can't benefit from updates like Gingerbread when they come out because the developer first has to adapt it to the mod

Well, you can. Infact there are already AOSP gingerbread roms out there right now. Well before HTC have released it for any of their devices

However, if you want sense, you will need to wait for a dev to get their hands on an official desire release, or if that doesnt exist, port it from another HTC device.

Also, FYI, the Desire HD rom has been ported to the desire, so ropoted users are already enjoying the new HTC sense and htcsense.com

And for all these reasons, the process of flashing can hold back quite a lot of people when it could in fact be made much easier (or at least, that's what I think...)

Yes it is daunting at first. However, it gets easier as you do it more. You have to wipe data (factory reset) when going between sense and aosp roms but often between roms of the saem base you can get away without.

There are apps that can back up much of your set up. Sometimes its good to start fresh though

For example.
I want to install (flash?) a ROM that will allow me to use A2SD+, that is faster than the stock ROM, that will allow me to keep the useful HTC Sense features, and with which I can easily set back the Launcherpro UI that I've set up on my Desire. What should I choose?
Cheers

Well if you want something dead close to stock, Teppic74's rooted stock rom is ideal. It has an a2sd+ add on. It's so good, that you could probably restore everything from your own rom to that rom with no conflicts.

Making it faster is just flashing a kernel (which can be downloaded from XDA) and using an app called Set CPU to overclock with that kernel.

Hope some of this helps, but yes its something where Id have to say, there is no such thing as too much preparation. It is not something to be taken lightly, but there are plenty of people here to help. Most only ask questions once they hit a problem which is often a result of a lack of research

Reactions: Lmkt
Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I have a "Low on Space" problem too. My phone is rooted & most of the apps are on the sdcard & whatever is on the phone storage in no way fills up all the memory but nonetheless, I have 2.54MB of space available. I've gone through & deleted all the cache & I don't have things like Google Earth installed. The largest app on the phone is Adobe Flash Player (10.96MB).

I cannot work out what is eating up so much memory! Can anyone suggest what it could be or how I could find out? Your help is much appreciated.

Merry Xmas everyone :)

Upvote 0
well tbh i see shed loads of posts from people having problems just updating phones let alone root.
if you look at xda developers most people are rooted.

in the most part with a rooted device things go wrong because of user error or something the user has added that might not be compatible.

most cases though is someone who has not read, rushed it then asked for help.
you dont go in a car with no clue how to drive, go down the road on your own, run someone over, total the car and then say "it was the cars fault that i didnt read the instructions"

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
Low space is driving me potty! I have tried to remedy the problem by clearing cache, removing app's and even deleting photo's (which I really didn't want to do) but I've still only got 23mb left! This is ridiculous!

I'm a bit reluctent to clear all the cache as i dont want to loose things like contacts.

My top, storage heavy apps are as follow,

Swype 10.72mb
contact storage 9.98mb (why so large?)
maps 9.01mb
facebook for sense 8.61mb
htc sense 7.66mb
com.htc.socialnetwork.prov..... 7.23mb
facebook 7.23mb
handcent 5.76mb
gmail 4.07mb
market 3.00mb

Can someone please help me? Is rooting really the only option?

Upvote 0
Low space is driving me potty! I have tried to remedy the problem by clearing cache, removing app's and even deleting photo's (which I really didn't want to do) but I've still only got 23mb left! This is ridiculous!

I'm a bit reluctent to clear all the cache as i dont want to loose things like contacts.

My top, storage heavy apps are as follow,

Swype 10.72mb
contact storage 9.98mb (why so large?)
maps 9.01mb
facebook for sense 8.61mb
htc sense 7.66mb
com.htc.socialnetwork.prov..... 7.23mb
facebook 7.23mb
handcent 5.76mb
gmail 4.07mb
market 3.00mb

Can someone please help me? Is rooting really the only option?

Here is a comparison with my versions so you can see if anything looks too big.

• Swype has a new update out, only takes up 4.19mb on mine (although i only started using it, so not sure how much of your 10mb is data).
  • Contacts on mine is 7mb (used to be 21, think due to some glitch it can get large, so pays to refresh it once in a while. All my contacts are google ones so easy to import them)
  • Maps is the same, no way to decrease since on stock cannot be moved to sd (why not google?)
  • FB for Sense is only 2.8mb on mine (have about 250 friends, so if you have more it will be higher, but 8 sounds pretty large)
  • HTC sense is 2.5mb although i use Launcher Pro so may be higher for you if you use widgets etc
  • Socialnetwork (not sure what this is but prob related to FB so see above)
  • Handcent (i don't use so can't comment)
  • Gmail is 6mb for me but i sync all my storage folders, so could reduce by lowering amount it syncs)
  • Market is 3mb also, can't change that one i'm afraid.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Great post danfrance.
Although I have gone through a few root guides, are there any in particular tthat you would recommend ?
Particularly on identifying the correct files to use (radio etc.)

Ah the radio question.

Basically, don't update the radio unless you have to. AOSP roms may need a new radio for certain features but mostly it should be fine. Especially on Sense roms.

Have a look through the rooting FAQ linked in my sig. I also link to an unrevoked guide that I recommend.

Upvote 0
Here is a comparison with my versions so you can see if anything looks too big.

• Swype has a new update out, only takes up 4.19mb on mine (although i only started using it, so not sure how much of your 10mb is data).
  • Contacts on mine is 7mb (used to be 21, think due to some glitch it can get large, so pays to refresh it once in a while. All my contacts are google ones so easy to import them)
  • Maps is the same, no way to decrease since on stock cannot be moved to sd (why not google?)
  • FB for Sense is only 2.8mb on mine (have about 250 friends, so if you have more it will be higher, but 8 sounds pretty large)
  • HTC sense is 2.5mb although i use Launcher Pro so may be higher for you if you use widgets etc
  • Socialnetwork (not sure what this is but prob related to FB so see above)
  • Handcent (i don't use so can't comment)
  • Gmail is 6mb for me but i sync all my storage folders, so could reduce by lowering amount it syncs)
  • Market is 3mb also, can't change that one i'm afraid.
Hope this helps.

Yeah that was helpful thanks. I just thought **** it and I have cleared everything! (i use google contacts) and i dont seem to have lost anything important and now have 50mb free! woo hoo!

Upvote 0
I had 29 MB free, then I removed GMAIL app, Voice Search and now its 17 MB.
This is pretty bad.

I think its a bit buggy.

or have a look at this I installed Crazy Snow Boarding to SD card and My Internal Storage decreased by 3 Mbs, then Installed Base ball Superstar and deleted and still decreasing my Internal Storage by 2 Mbs. What the heck is going, still not getting it.

Upvote 0
Okay as per the recommendation from HTC Customer Care, I did Factory Settings to Default

After doing so I Got 135 MB free Space on Internal Storage.

I find it quiet intresting that The internal Memory Goes on Decreasing the more you use the phone. I got no Clue what actually uses the internal Memory, like after upgrading my Flash Player, Google Maps and Facebook App which total up 25 MB approx, Internal Memory Size was reduced to 90 MB.

How??? thats the real question is.

Upvote 0
Okay as per the recommendation from HTC Customer Care, I did Factory Settings to Default

After doing so I Got 135 MB free Space on Internal Storage.

I find it quiet intresting that The internal Memory Goes on Decreasing the more you use the phone. I got no Clue what actually uses the internal Memory, like after upgrading my Flash Player, Google Maps and Facebook App which total up 25 MB approx, Internal Memory Size was reduced to 90 MB.

How??? thats the real question is.

The /data partition you refer to as internal memory is not just for apps. Emails go there, app data, app cache, contacts storage, calendar storage, dalvik cache etc etc

Lots of things.

Upvote 0
Lot of people including me believe that it is the People/contacts app that is causing the problem and has a bad memory leak. After a hard reset, my 500 contacts (after resyncing) went down from 80Mb to 2Mb!

You could maybe get away witgh a clearing of contacts storage cache and data. If eveything is sync'd fine. If not, export the rest to SD first.

It has worked for some people.

Upvote 0
I've got a question regarding rooting and internal storage.

I'm a non rooted HTC Desire user and I've struggled with internal memory the last couple of days.
And I was wondering, if you root and flash to a custom ROM, will it improve internal memory so you can install more apps & games?

+ is there a way back when rooted?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones