• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Low on space" phone/application storage notification

Yeah, I am very reluctant too that's why I was hoping someone had maybe tried it.

It says "Do not install this app unless instructed to by Customer Support." So, I wouldn't. It may have been written for the EVO, look at the URL. The only permanent fix for Low On Space that I know of is to root your phone, then install the Low On Space fix, that's what I did. It increases the storage space from 150 mb to whatever space is left on your phone's internal memory. It was a little tricky, because when I upgraded to Gingerbread there wasn't room to install. I kept deleting and moving apps, clearing caches etc. until it worked. But now it's fine, no more Low On Space issues. The only thing I've noticed is in one game, it lags a little, presumably because it takes an extra second to store things in the new location.

Upvote 0
If it continues to be there it will soon say no phone space and nothing will work until you get rid of both icons.
Hi guys. I have checked all the low on space threads and i feel like mines is definitely an odd ball
When i click on the notification it sends me to my Manage Apps menu. The Manage Apps menu kind of freezes and all the apps show but the disk space says "computing..." and doesn't change

This is the current amount of space I have in my phone.

SD card - Total space = 7.42GB / Avail. space = 7.05gb
Internal phone storage - Total space = 6.6gb / Avail. space = 6.53gb
Phone memory - Total space = 748MB / Avail space = 696MB

I have tried clearing the internet cache and etc..still to no avail. the phone seems to be functioning fine except for the notification that bugs me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I got those same messages. But only difference is my phone must have reached its limit and shut off. It restarts but never reboots. It just gives me the htc screen then droid screen then restarts itself again. And continues to do that without cease. The only way to stop it is to take the battery out. I took out the sd card and restarted but no difference. I tried plugging it up to the computer but nothing. I may try to let the battery run out but a doubt it will help. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I got those same messages. But only difference is my phone must have reached its limit and shut off. It restarts but never reboots. It just gives me the htc screen then droid screen then restarts itself again. And continues to do that without cease. The only way to stop it is to take the battery out. I took out the sd card and restarted but no difference. I tried plugging it up to the computer but nothing. I may try to let the battery run out but a doubt it will help. Any ideas?

You're cycle restarting is almost certainly unrelated to the low on space error. One quick suggestion is to take the battery out, and leave it out for a minute or 2. Then plug it back in and try and start it up. You'll want to check out the "random restart/reboot" stickied on top of the Support subsection (2 threads below this one). That might have some other suggestions to try.

Upvote 0
This is how I fixed my phone... I disclaim any and all responsibility for anyone following these instructions!!!

I *FINALLY* found the culprit in my Verizon HTC Droid Incredible phone with Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

It used to be, that Facebook or the Contacts Directory, or sometimes Mail were the programs taking up space.

But it turns out on my phone at least, I found there is an error log that keeps growing, and it's gotten worse after the Gingerbread update.

To deal with this, you have to root your phone. I've had this phone since it came out, and I've never needed to root until now...

Instructions are at http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html

NOTE: You do NOT have to downgrade and you don't need "S-off", you only need to follow the directions up to where it says "you should now have the superuser app in your app drawer." Be sure to read the special note to users with the SLCD screen.

Go get "Root Explorer" from Market, then navigate to the following directory:
/data/data/com.android.htcprofile
And there is a file called anr_history.txt

For me, it seems to grow by more than 300K per day with unneeded crash log data. Mine was 70+ MB!!!

Delete the file, it's not needed for anything.

This site: http://atlas.hasselbalch.com/android/anr-using-my-space gives instructions on how to prevent it from regenerating... when you reboot your phone, the file is re-created. You have to remove write permissions and then change the ownership of the file so that it will not grow again. This can be accomplished with Root Explorer.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
So I am getting the "low on space" "glitch". I read through a lot of posts on this forum. Doesn't sound like a glitch to me. It's a fullblown deal breaker problem. I got a site from a forum entry which was supposed to lead to a fix for this problem. It didn't work. Just more frustration.
I went to my local Verizon Wireless store. As I started to explain the issue to the rep, he held his hand up and said, "Stop... I'm giving you a replacement phone." I'm expecting it in the mail tomorrow. He said it would be overnighted, but we've run up against MLK holiday. Unless it comes UPS or FedEx, I'm not expecting anything from the USPS today.
As an aside... I asked about the possibility of upgrading to a new 4G phone. He told me that was fine and if I was in the right time frame, I could even get it at a reduced price. But, he also said that one of our other new plans (we have a family plan) was coming due in May, and that new things were on the horizon in that time frame.
I'm taking the replacement and waiting to see what May may bring.

Upvote 0
So I am getting the "low on space" "glitch". I read through a lot of posts on this forum. Doesn't sound like a glitch to me. It's a fullblown deal breaker problem. I got a site from a forum entry which was supposed to lead to a fix for this problem. It didn't work. Just more frustration.
I went to my local Verizon Wireless store. As I started to explain the issue to the rep, he held his hand up and said, "Stop... I'm giving you a replacement phone." I'm expecting it in the mail tomorrow. He said it would be overnighted, but we've run up against MLK holiday. Unless it comes UPS or FedEx, I'm not expecting anything from the USPS today.
As an aside... I asked about the possibility of upgrading to a new 4G phone. He told me that was fine and if I was in the right time frame, I could even get it at a reduced price. But, he also said that one of our other new plans (we have a family plan) was coming due in May, and that new things were on the horizon in that time frame.
I'm taking the replacement and waiting to see what May may bring.

Are they replacing it with another incredible?

Upvote 0
My Incredible died in the night, lost main memory and many apps, and was almost useless. I panic'd, without a Droid is horrible.

So I headed to Verizon and landed up getting an Incredible 2 for $150. I think I had to promise to live 2 more years or something. At 71 I have to be careful with these promises.

Flash!! NO /data/data problems! Ghost Explorer shows a /data subdir with 0 bytes, so they use a different scheme. All apps go on the SD card, and it has no 'main memory storage' for apps, etc like the Incredible 1.

I'm living fine without root, and the 'bloatware' isn't bothering me a bit.

Only complaints: It 'left-handed' - they switched the power switch and earjack positions. Also they turned the charging connector upside down. And the batteries, cases, etc are different.

And even better news - I found a couple programs that completely cleared and restored my Incredible 1. No more root to worry about. I'm going to use it for hardware experimenting.

Not to start a new thread here - but Google IOIO if you want to learn more about hooking gadgets up to your droid. Or controlling them via your droid bluetooth remotely.

I'm 'leaving' this 'out of memory' thread now, but will enjoying both of my Incredibles (for different tasks)

Bo

Upvote 0
Solution:
Go to settings, applications, manage applications, all tab, gmail, clear data. Notice the "low on space" icon on top now gone.

The issue appeared right after I installed Firefox on my HTC Incredible, this app is almost 20 megs. Uninstalling it, however didn't do anything. It seems that this "low space" issue is chronic on HTC Incredible. I had the same issue a month or so ago. HTC, if you are reading this please attend to this problem or face consequence of loosing to IPhone 5.

Sincerely,

Renat
Innomind.org
I've been soooo frustrated dealing with this issue over and over again for at least 5 months. I also keep getting an "update" sent to my phone every couple of weeks and it never completes downloading. I've talked with HTC no fewer than 10 times and gotten that many answers. NONE of them are permanent fixes. Haven't done a hard reset (cuz I refuse to) but have read other threads that said even that didn't work. iPHONE...here I come!!!

Upvote 0
I've been soooo frustrated dealing with this issue over and over again for at least 5 months. I also keep getting an "update" sent to my phone every couple of weeks and it never completes downloading. I've talked with HTC no fewer than 10 times and gotten that many answers. NONE of them are permanent fixes. Haven't done a hard reset (cuz I refuse to) but have read other threads that said even that didn't work. iPHONE...here I come!!!

Just wait......it'll rear it's head again!
Go into manage applications menu, and clear cache and data from you're larger apps. When and if you get gingerbread, you can also save room by moving apps to the sd card (the problem is there is a small partition where the phone stores private data from applications that fills up. With gingerbread, when you move an app to the sd card the phone also moves part of that data with the app).

If you root you're phone there is a permanent fix. And this problem is unique to the incredible, and is not found on any other android device.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
If you root you're phone there is a permanent fix. And this problem is unique to the incredible, and is not found on any other android device.

What is the permanent fix? I've taken off every app that I don't use and filled up my sd card. I am rooted but am close to the "low space" area and get frequent frozen apps. I still have that "empty" partition that I can't use... 6.4gb free space just sitting there taunting me! :mad:

(Knocks on wood) My phone works fine after all these years so I hate to spend $300 on a new one right now.

Nevermind, I just found it. Will let you know if I still have issues.

Upvote 0
First time post, sorry if I talk of something that has already been talked about.

The quick and dirty is I was having the same 'Phone storage is getting low' notification. Only my phone storage was not low. Called verizon and they suggested doing a factory reset. Customer service said to move anything I didn't want to have erased to the SD card and remove card. Performed factory reset, put SD card back in and ALL applications I had installed were gone. SD card shows I have about a GB worth of stuff on it, but I cannot view what is on the SD card.

I'm not going to begin to tell you how many hours/days/months, etc. I've wasted playing games like angry birds, paradise island, rock the vegas, and the like. So I'm pretty TOed that I may have lost them for good.

Is there anyway to get these APPS back without me having to re-download them and start them all over. Because that is NOT going to happen if I can help it.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Upvote 0
First time post, sorry if I talk of something that has already been talked about.

The quick and dirty is I was having the same 'Phone storage is getting low' notification. Only my phone storage was not low. Called verizon and they suggested doing a factory reset. Customer service said to move anything I didn't want to have erased to the SD card and remove card. Performed factory reset, put SD card back in and ALL applications I had installed were gone. SD card shows I have about a GB worth of stuff on it, but I cannot view what is on the SD card.

I'm not going to begin to tell you how many hours/days/months, etc. I've wasted playing games like angry birds, paradise island, rock the vegas, and the like. So I'm pretty TOed that I may have lost them for good.

Is there anyway to get these APPS back without me having to re-download them and start them all over. Because that is NOT going to happen if I can help it.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

A factory reset erased all the data on your phone including apps. The only data saved by moving stuff to the SD card would be pictures/movies/music etc.

So to answer your question, the only way to get apps back that were erased from a factory reset is to redownload them, unless you used a program to back them up first. (My backup pro).

So bottom line is VZW customer service misinformed you on how to properly save your data and also misinformed you by telling you that you needed a factory reset. Info found on page one and page 11 of this thread tells you how to fix the low on space issue.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Guys, this is the first "permanent" fix that I've found.

[HOW TO] Fix the "Low on space" problem (in plain English) - xda-developers

the actual MOD the above thread is referring to was listed twice, here.

[MOD] Ext4 4 ALL! Gingerbread AOSP + GingerSense Update: 10/27 Normal dalvik fixed - xda-developers

Just follow the first link's directions.

YES, you will have to root, and it might be scary and a pain, but I read up on it for a week, really learning about it, and then I rooted. VERY SCARY, at first, but my friend helped me out. An important thing to note is that the actual process of rooting a phone contains risk, of course, but actually bricking your phone, when done right, contains very little risk. usually the risks come when you are flashing a mod that messes with your radios, etc.

the Mod above does this. your /data/data partition is usually 150mb, max. what this MOD does is move the /data/data partition into the 750mb of internal storage! so it's HUGE now. i have 171mb of available space now, and i can move more apps to sd to make even more room.

i used to just clear my facebook, google+, and dialer storage (text message) data, and my phone would be fine. however, recently, i could not get the low storage warning to go away.

i don't think that verizon is ever going to fix the problem. they have moved on to working on other newer phones. i don't think that htc will ever fix this problem, either. for the same reasons.

that is why i finally decided to root. it's NOT FOR EVERYBODY, keep in mind. for many of you, just doing a factory reset will be a better short-term solution.

but, if you are interested, check out those 2 threads that i mentioned.

Upvote 0
At first I was ecstatic that it was so easy to get rid of the annoying mssg.
I later found a bunch of apps missing. Have trying to retrieve it for the last 2 days with no luck..
Here are the things I tried:
- Cleared cache of all apps
- Reinstalled g play market app
- Unmounted and mouted back the SD card
- Disconnect and reconnect battery
- moved flies from .android folder in SD card to internal memory

Not sure what else to do... Ideas anyone??

Guys, this is the first "permanent" fix that I've found.

[HOW TO] Fix the "Low on space" problem (in plain English) - xda-developers

the actual MOD the above thread is referring to was listed twice, here.

[MOD] Ext4 4 ALL! Gingerbread AOSP + GingerSense Update: 10/27 Normal dalvik fixed - xda-developers

Just follow the first link's directions.

YES, you will have to root, and it might be scary and a pain, but I read up on it for a week, really learning about it, and then I rooted. VERY SCARY, at first, but my friend helped me out. An important thing to note is that the actual process of rooting a phone contains risk, of course, but actually bricking your phone, when done right, contains very little risk. usually the risks come when you are flashing a mod that messes with your radios, etc.

the Mod above does this. your /data/data partition is usually 150mb, max. what this MOD does is move the /data/data partition into the 750mb of internal storage! so it's HUGE now. i have 171mb of available space now, and i can move more apps to sd to make even more room.

i used to just clear my facebook, google+, and dialer storage (text message) data, and my phone would be fine. however, recently, i could not get the low storage warning to go away.

i don't think that verizon is ever going to fix the problem. they have moved on to working on other newer phones. i don't think that htc will ever fix this problem, either. for the same reasons.

that is why i finally decided to root. it's NOT FOR EVERYBODY, keep in mind. for many of you, just doing a factory reset will be a better short-term solution.

but, if you are interested, check out those 2 threads that i mentioned.

Upvote 0
At first I was ecstatic that it was so easy to get rid of the annoying mssg.
I later found a bunch of apps missing. Have trying to retrieve it for the last 2 days with no luck..
Here are the things I tried:
- Cleared cache of all apps
- Reinstalled g play market app
- Unmounted and mouted back the SD card
- Disconnect and reconnect battery
- moved flies from .android folder in SD card to internal memory

Not sure what else to do... Ideas anyone??

I have seen this before. Sometimes when the ext4 mod is flashed and the files are moved from /datadata to /data/data something goes wrong and not all of the files are moved, or get corrupted along the way. It sucks, but there isnt much you can do except reinstall the app and eat the fact that you lost your data. If you reinstall the missing apps, and they fc or you get a uid mismatch message on boot, then you will have to wipe data and datadata (factory reset) loosing all your apps and their data, and basicly start from scratch reinstalling and seting up all your apps and phone preferences. It sucks but you only have to do it once, and i guess its the price you pay for never getting the low space error again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones