• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Low on space" phone/application storage notification

If you Google "htc incredible low storage space" you will find that a number of us have had this prob. Some think it's a memory leak in the mail app - I optimistically expect the upcoming OTA (or 2) will remedy the situation.
For now, I just sort my downloaded apps by size and uninstall the largest ones I'm not really using - like if you're playing with multiple launchers, browsers, twitter, or multimedia streaming apps or not playing with some of the space-hog games, you can free up plenty of space and redownload & reinstall apps as needed. If you uninstall a paid app - it still shows up as purchased in the market.
It's a pain - but I guess it's the price we pay for getting in on the bleeding edge.

Upvote 0
You all might want to take a look at this thread and pay special attention to the changes that people have mead to their email settings. I just had the same thing happen on my phone (I've had it since 6/29) and found about 1000 emails between two accounts in the Trash folder. I deleted all mail in both Trash folders and changed my email setting to hold only 14 days worth of mail per account. Right after emptying the Trash folders the Low memory notification went away.

Reactions: liewbob
Upvote 0
Please keep in mind that while the phone has 8 gig's of storage (which actually comes out to more like 6.6), apps can currently only be installed in the ROM portion, which is 748MB. So you can't have a full 6 gig worth of app's installed.

Once Froyo is released, you will be able to install app's on your SD card, which will help a lot with the people who are app crazy. Till then, you are stuck with the 748MB.

Reactions: liewbob
Upvote 0
I ran into this issue this morning and after hours of googling found a fix that actually worked for me, without requiring a hard reset. I deleted all cache and data for all HTC Sense apps (Mail, FriendStream, Peep, etc). As a result I had to re-configure my home screens, but at least I didn't have to reinstall all my apps.

Upon further investigation, it does appear that the issue is HTC Mail, which is a ridiculously bloated 90MB on my phone. I'm just hoping I can put off a hard reset and that the Froyo update will include a fix to this issue.

Reactions: thisisjnn
Upvote 0
I'm getting a "Low on Space" Icon but when I check my "SD Card and Phone Storage" it seems I have plenty of space left or am I just reading it wrong?
Does "Available Space" not mean, the space I have left to work with?

Menu>Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage

SD Card
Total Space: 7.40GB
Available Space: 2.43GB

Internal Phone Storage
Total Space: 6.60GB
Available Space: 6.33GB

Phone Memory
Total Space: 748 MB
Available Space: 626MB

Upvote 0
I had a similar if not the same problem a few days ago. I kid you not, do not turn off your phone, as you might get it bricked. For me, I turned my phone off after I got that message, and my phone could not boot up all the way. I had to hard reset my phone to get it to boot up again. To this day, I still don't know what caused it. I remember updating several apps before it happened, just don't recall which ones.

Reactions: mozes316
Upvote 0
I'm getting a "Low on Space" Icon but when I check my "SD Card and Phone Storage" it seems I have plenty of space left or am I just reading it wrong?
Does "Available Space" not mean, the space I have left to work with?

Menu>Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage

SD Card
Total Space: 7.40GB
Available Space: 2.43GB

Internal Phone Storage
Total Space: 6.60GB
Available Space: 6.33GB

Phone Memory
Total Space: 748 MB
Available Space: 626MB

I don't know if you've already checked this, but HTC mail has known space issues... settings > manage applications > look at how much space HTC mail is using. if's it's some stupid amount, remove your email accounts and re-add them (except for gmail).

Reactions: mozes316
Upvote 0
There are other threads about this glitch. It happened to me and only got worse as time went on until you can't even update apps, get mail or texts. I'm not sure if it was the mail app or whatever. Also heard it could've been the Google Earth app. It finally wouldn't even completely turn on. VZW then helped me do a complete factory reset...headache as it takes a day reloading your apps, contacts, etc. However, it's been a month and hasn't re-occured (fingers-crossed). PS...I haven't reloaded Google Earth either...just in case!

Upvote 0
I also am receiving the same message .. I deleted a few apps . still getting the message..
My Phone Memory shows
Total space : 748MB
Available space: 564MB

SD card and Internal phone storage have GB's available so can't seeing that be a factor

Also can not send text messages now... keep telling me to delete to make room.. which I have done

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones