1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Low storage space and update issues!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by arv122, Apr 15, 2012.

1. arv122

arv122 Lurker

I have had the low storage space icon on my task bar ever since I got that gingerbread update. I have deleted application after application and it still won't go away. I even purchased a 16 gb SD card and transferred some apps and it's still there. My available space for internal storage is currently at 5.54 GB and my available space for phone memory is at 585 MB. I'm at the point where I can no longer download applications because it says that there is not enough room on my phone.

Also, any time I get an update to my phone, it asks me to let it reboot my phone and install right away. I click this every time and my phone never reboots so I assume it is not installing the update.

I don't want to root my phone and I don't want to do a factory reset because there are certain texts that I want to keep. However, I'm starting to become desperate. Any ideas on what I should do?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Check out page one and page 11 of this thread:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible...e-phone-application-storage-notification.html

But basically, you are running out of space in a 150MB partition of your phone where the data for your apps is stored (to do lists, browser cache, login credentials etc...). The partition can only be accessed with root access. The only "fix" for non rooted phones is to periodically go into your manage applications screen and clear the data and cache for the larger apps (you can sort them by size).

3. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

What he said.
    I just wanted to add that if your primary reason for not doing a factory reset is some texts you want to keep, there are numerous options available to backup text messages. If it's important to you to have them then you wanted them backed up. You never know if your phone will die tomorrow, get destroyed or messed up. And that's one fewer reason not to change things on your phone.

sdrawkcab25 likes this.
  4. TheScientist

TheScientist Lurker

FYI, I had several of the same issues you currently do (i.e., low phone storage, phone doesn't restart when it's trying to update); when I was finally able to force the update, my Incredible started to pick up several worse problems.

A work-around I found for the low storage problem was to identify apps that use a lot of space for data rather than the app itself (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications). Some common violators for me were Internet and Facebook. If you then "Clear data," the warning will disappear. For Facebook, this just means you have to log back in, which isn't a big deal. Beware for Internet, though, because it will erase your bookmarks, history, etc.

Update at your own risk! While I'm sure there are several users who got the update to work perfectly, I wish I never did it! I'd much rather just be logged out of Facebook than be unable to receive e-mails.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews