1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Low Volume

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by slugger09, Jun 16, 2011.

1. slugger09

slugger09 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    Is this what the slogan "Quietly Brilliant" means? I had this issue with the original Desire so decided to return it, and by the looks of it things haven't changed. The main issue for me is headphone volume. Its about half that of an iPhone, sure you can get various eq type apps to try and boost the volume but all the do is make everything distort.

Anyone else have this issue? Music is the main thing for me in a phone as I listen to is 8hrs a day at work, and by the looks of it this may have to be returned,

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    This might be due to EU regulations where mp3/music players are restricted to a certain db level.

If you have a service provider branded phone from the UK/Europe, then it's possible they've flashed some volume limit to the phone. Also, HTC could have introduced similar measures on phones produced for the EU market.

(It'd be interesting to compare unbranded HTC phones from the EU and USA/Rest of the World to see if this is the case.)

With the Desire, some people claimed to able to improve the volume by rooting the phone, but, as yet, the Desire S hasn't been rooted, at least not in the usual way via only software.

You could try this to see if it improves things on your Desire S.

1 Dial *#*#3424#*#*
    2 Audio > Run
    3 Select Speaker, Receiver, Headset then > Play to test each path

You could also try a factory reset, which any HTC tech would tell you to do before returning it for replacement.

I think you're going to find similar issues with any phone you buy designated for the EU market, unless, like Sansa mp3 players, you can change the location setting of the device, so that it operates as if you were outside the EU without any volume limiting.

3. slugger09

slugger09 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    That had occurred to me, but then why doesn't the iPhone have this issue? My wife has a Sony Ericsson X8 and when up full its deafening , so I think its an HTC issue

4. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Was there a notice or warning on the iPhone or Sony Ericsson about volume levels or options for two media volume settings, e.g. normal and loud. I believe this is the only way for manufacturers to legally get round the cap in the EU, by alerting the user that they are choosing to listen to something louder than normal.

I'm no fan of the EU cap. The difference between EU and the Rest of the World volume setting on my Sansa is huge. I find the volume on the Desire S to be OK, but I'd certainly like to be able to increase it for some recordings.

Tags: