• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LS720ZV6 Update : Do I Want It? (Virgin Mobile)

It worked for me just fine. I am not rooted (yet).

It seemed to boot-loop for folks who are rooted, though.

The noticeable changes were new versions of Google Play Services and Google Drive. The rest of it seems to be internal stuff -- so far everything still works fine, though.

Upvote 0
My wife downloaded the update last night on her LG F3 Virgin Mobil (not rooted). Now she gets an annoying message every two minutes -- ""Unfortunately, com.lge.email has stopped." The default email program doesn't work now. Her gmail app works fine but we can't seem to get rid of this message. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
The update seemed to work fine on my rooted, but un-modded VM phone. It was a little scary before the after-update reboot for a brief second before it showed an android on his back with a red triangle with a "!" on it on his chest. Don't know what that was all about, but everything so far appears to be fine.

I noticed on other posts it says it's version is suppose to be LS720ZV6, but mine says LS720ZV5.

So does that mean my update failed?

I tried the "Update Firmware" setting after the update and it said I was current. I did not try the "Update LG Software" though and I can't from where I'm at, at the moment.

Upvote 0
The update seemed to work fine on my rooted, but un-modded VM phone. It was a little scary before the after-update reboot for a brief second before it showed an android on his back with a red triangle with a "!" on it on his chest. Don't know what that was all about, but everything so far appears to be fine.

I noticed on other posts it says it's version is suppose to be LS720ZV6, but mine says LS720ZV5.

I tried the "Update Firmware" setting after the update and it said I was current. I did not try the "Update LG Software" though and I can't from where I'm at, at the moment.

At least your phone didn't soft brick. As you are not showing LS720ZV6, the update failed, but again you did not soft brick so that is always good.

Reactions: Murf1
Upvote 0
Yes, it came back up and everything appears normal. Even though I'm rooted (so I could use Link2SD) I have not deleted or changed any stock files/bloat.

You reckon because I didn't mess with anything is why it didn't soft brick?

From the forums probably just luck of the draw. Some users seem to soft brick and some don't. Have not noticed any specific pattern.

Me I soft brick which was not a good feeling but thanks to others in the forums I am up and running.

Upvote 0
I too have a VM F3 that's rooted w/ motochopper but not flashed. Tried the update to no avail. Luckily did not soft brick. My understanding of the update is one factor is it eliminates the chance to root with motochopper. Can anyone verify?

Your comment is correct.

Info in following link may help to reroot if needed.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6373482

Upvote 0
I am rooted with mottochopper. Very little bloat removed and nothing modified in system. Tried update three times but always failed and never bricked ( GOOD ) Just added cwm recovery will try update again when prompted ( not in a hurry ) Would like to have update installed just in case i need it later for any future updates that may come.

Upvote 0

If you clicked the link the first line is "Root required obviously. "
Good Lord, good Lord! Thank you for this thread. VM Optimus F3 w moto root, Link2SD, over a gig of internal free, plenty of SD, all that I need, and for what I paid this phone is a powerhouse. (Not to mention the best battery life ever.)
I am not messing with it.

Ditto, mine is 4 days old, got it from amazon $80 shipped new. I believe they price match back up to 7 days if anyone else is still looking to buy.

Upvote 0
I did something to my phone that it did not like. Burning the battery fast.
Decided to restore a previous CWM Nandroid backup to correct the problem.
My phone has lost root and is 100% stock now. Serious thinking of installing the update, thinking it may be safer without the root... although thinking in the back of my mind what if it's the recovery that causes the boot loops people are experiencing....
May have to wait till I get home to give it a try since it's snowing and I may need a phone on the drive home from work....

Upvote 0

I can re-attempt an update by stopping Google Framework Services but the same thing happens. I'd like to get past this point, and fully install V6. How? Any reason why this would be inadvisable?

Upvote 0
I can re-attempt an update by stopping Google Framework Services but the same thing happens. I'd like to get past this point, and fully install V6. How? Any reason why this would be inadvisable?

Well, I'm rooted (haven't altered any system files) and it breaks the root. (Can be rooted again by a different method.)
Also, some people get a boot-loop or soft brick when the update fails and you have to jump thru hoops to get your phone working again. I don't want to go thru all that, so I'm staying un-updated.

Now if VM puts out the 4.4 KitKat update - then I'll do what is needed to update it.

Meanwhile I use the "Disable Service" app to stop the nagging update message.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones