1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Lte compatibility

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alexander323bc, Apr 12, 2012.

1. alexander323bc

alexander323bc Android Enthusiast

Ok this might be stupid and sorry if it was covered, if it was I honestly could not find it. I am thinking about getting the Nexus LTE. I currently have Verizon but I might be able to get the sprint version for half the cost. Will the sprint version work on Verizon network? I am not sure if the same old cdma rules apply with LTE. I would guess it wont work but just wanted to ask.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I beleive they are different frequencies. I imagine if it was possible there would be 9 million threads here about using a VZW GNex on Sprint.;)

trophynuts likes this.
  3. alexander323bc

Haha I suppose your right :( But without sprints LTE network up and running it would be hard to tell. Thought I would give it a shot and ask.

4. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

No, they are using different frequencies. Verizon's LTE is 750 Mhz and Sprint's is 1900Mhz.

trophynuts likes this.
  5. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

I don't remember where I saw it. But they reported Sprint is going to use 800Mhz for LTE.

6. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

op regardless they're on diff frequencies.

In addition to that if i were anyone thinking about grabbing the G Nex on Sprint i would wait and see how the radios did on Sprint's network including LTE.

7. alexander323bc

Ok well thank you for killing my dreams :(

8. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

You also might want to wait until sprint actually has an LTE network....

9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Not necessarily, vzw doesn't have 4g where I am yet and I am plenty happy work my galaxy nexus

10. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

depending on where the OP lives he could be waiting a while so i wouldn't let that be too much of a factor. Just radio reception in general i guess is what is most important. Even when i turn LTE off on mine i still get krap reception.

sorry OP i wasn't meaning to ruin your hopes lol. Just trying to give you a heads up ;)

11. alexander323bc

Haha I was not looking to use the service on sprint :) I know a few people that work for sprint I could probaly get the Sprint LTE version of the nexus cheaper than the Verizon version. Was looking at cheap LTE phone to use until the S3 comes out so I am not wasting an upgrade. Just trying to work the system.

12. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Not according to the FCC....

According to the FCC test documentation for both VZW and Sprint's versions
    Verizon's GN runs on CDMA 850 and 1900 (LINK)
    and on LTE 750 (LINK).

Sprint's GN also runs on CDMA 850 and 1900 (LINK), however Sprint's LTE operates on the 1900 band (LINK)

13. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast

I believe the 800mhz spectrum is still being used by the old Nextel customers...sprint is supposed to start using that for lte in a few years

14. alexander323bc

15. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

You're right. They are using 1900Mhz for LTE right now.
    But I saw this at engadget before, saying they will build LTE on 800Mhz in a few years. Anyway it's different frequency from verizon LTE.

Sprint will activate LTE on the 800MHz band in 2014 - Engadget

16. alexander323bc

I am kind of surprised 1900 for lte wont the speeds suck?

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews