1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

LTE phone in an area without LTE coverage

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by goldenboyy, Nov 28, 2011.

1. goldenboyy

goldenboyy Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi,

I recently purchased the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE even though I am in a city that doesn't have LTE coverage quite yet. The phone hasn't had the greatest reception and I have a new one being mailed to me. My question is, is the problem with my device or because i'm using an LTE phone in a non LTE coverage zone? I tested the LTE simcard in a nonLTE device and the reception was fine.

I know the LTE devices are designed to 'kick back' when your not in a LTE zone, however should the call quality be identical to as if you didn't have an LTE device, or will quality be sacrificed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I dont intend to downgrade to a lower model phone unless I really have to.

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    well.. in most phones.. i think you can turn off the LTE radio. just look in the main menu under settings.

your LTE and phone antenna are different. so they should not bother each other.

3. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    LTE is referring to the DATA atenna, the one that transmits any sort of image, video, or text.

Your regular antenna is used for calls only. If you turn off LTE, you simply turn off the data access. Call quality is not measured by the "LTE" reference, that is for DATA only.