1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

LTE Repeaters

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by TexasLegend, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TexasLegend

TexasLegend Member

I live in a rural area and although we have 4G LTE service, signal strength in my house is poor at best.

Making matters worse is DSL in my area is somewhere <1MB/sec. I use my phone as hotspot almost exclusively.

I just got the HTC one changing from a Motorola M. The moto had a better radio I guess because I could get enough 4G connectivity to make a hotspot usable. Not so with the HTC.

Can someone recommend an affordable 4G LTE repeater that doesn't require a connection to a DSL router to boost signal strength?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

Head over to wilsonelectronics.com. They are sure to have something that meets your needs in a reasonable price range.

3. TexasLegend

TexasLegend Member

Thanks. A friend of mine said he has really good success with Wilson. Going to give them a shot.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

Apparently your definition of "reasonable price" differs markedly from mine...

Wilson is waaayyy more money than the one I link to at Amazon. It's also way more than the OP likely needs.

5. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

Or just read the OP's post. He uses his phone as a hot spot. Wilsonelectronics has a $100 cradle which is Waaayyy less than what you linked on Amazon and is exactly what he needs. I realize he was asking for a repeater but I think he can find something to get the job done reliably without spending a couple hundred dollars.

6. TexasLegend

TexasLegend Member

Thanks kyler13...I called wilsonelectronics today and they walked me through what I would call a needs assessment. At first the tech recommended a amp that was almost $1,000 on its own. After more conversation and disclosing that it was only data I was after he suggested a cradle, made for a car but adaptable to a home setting for an additional $20. Looks like I might be able to solve the issue I'm having somewhere south of $150.oo all in.

7. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

$1000.....LOL

Yes, what they initially suggested would be useful if you wanted to boost the area for in-home, multi-user mobility. But you indicated, use as a hot spot is a single device, non-mobile requirement so all you need is a point-of-use solution. Let us know how it works for you.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

Does the cradle have an external, outdoor antenna? That's what I assumed would be necessary based on the original post. That's why I made the statement about Wilson being so much more expensive, because their units with an outdoor antenna are almost $1000. If that cradle does the trick (which I'm not sold it will), that's great. Otherwise, the unit I posted from Amazon is probably your best bet.