• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LTE Tiered Data To Begin July 7th

I just signed up on Sunday, via AmazonWireless. My T-bolt is on the way.

If I don't get the unlimited I was promised at the time of contract initialization, i am cancelling out and going back to TMobile.

Well seeing as the "news" of this is coming from a 3rd party and it is still before July 7th you should be fine and sitting in the unlimited bucket with the rest of us

Upvote 0
yup...in a way i feel shafted lol...i was somewhat of a supporter of tiered data because i thought it would actually end up SAVING some people money that do not use a lot of data...

i was WAY wrong...

BEST CASE scenario you pay the same and only get 2GB of data?...WOW :(

That's what happens when we assume that corporations "care" about their consumers. That's why I'll never advocate for a corporation. You also have to be careful when rooting; VZW is going after rooted users too.

Upvote 0
IF - and that is a big IF - these prices are accurate, I really don't know how Verizon thinks they're going to get any kind of good will from the consumers on the change.

AT&T could get away with it because they saved 90% of their customers, $5/month. Verizon is keeping the price the same, but taking away data. Really not a smart move - nobody is going to like the change, a few are going to tolerate the change, and everyone is going to lose something in the change.

Upvote 0
I just signed up with Verizon for a two year plan. I should receive my Droid Charge later today. Naturally, I will activate the phone the moment I get it. How does the new pricing rules affect me? Will I have unlimited data at $30 for the next two years, or on July 7th will I have to suffer with the crazy tier pricing?

-Greymarch
I write about technology, especially android smartphones, at my website.
Greymarch's Website for Advanced Internet Research

Upvote 0
And the Charge, and the Revolution..... Let the fun begin.......

true I shouldn't have left those out!

I just signed up with Verizon for a two year plan. I should receive my Droid Charge later today. Naturally, I will activate the phone the moment I get it. How does the new pricing rules affect me? Will I have unlimited data at $30 for the next two years, or on July 7th will I have to suffer with the crazy tier pricing?

-Greymarch
I write about technology, especially android smartphones, at my website.
Greymarch's Website for Advanced Internet Research

You will have unlimited 4g for the entire 2 years.

I don't know how it works after the 2 year contract is up. I also don't know what would happen if you a bought another 4g phone retail and activated it during the 2 years.

Upvote 0
IF - and that is a big IF - these prices are accurate, I really don't know how Verizon thinks they're going to get any kind of good will from the consumers on the change.

AT&T could get away with it because they saved 90% of their customers, $5/month. Verizon is keeping the price the same, but taking away data. Really not a smart move - nobody is going to like the change, a few are going to tolerate the change, and everyone is going to lose something in the change.
I'm not going to panic untill the news is official.

However, I would be fine with the price as is.......if it included all the lines on the family plan, which Verizon was supposed to be offering a family data plan.

In the end, as much as I've been happy with Verizon service and devices, if they price themselves out of the market, then I'll take my number and go elsewhere. But again, not going to panic over a random Engadget article.

Upvote 0
This pricing is absolutely crazy! I wouldn't even have VZW if Sprint hadn't dropped service in my area.

I agree, it is upsetting =/

I don't know how the majority of Americans could afford 50-80 bucks a month to put internet on their phone.

I think Verizon customer service is going to be getting a lot of angry calls when people who bought 2 GB plans go over and have a $500 bill.

Upvote 0
Can everyone take a deep breath and stick to the issues. This topic is about the rumored tiered data, not about whether or VZ is going after WT users. I'm going to go back and edit posts.

I'm only trying to keep the peace, here. If anyone disagrees with my move, then feel free to pm me. A couple of things:

1) Don't get personal, it only leads to infractions or unwanted pregnancies.
2) If you wanna the reputed WT crackdown, please take to suggestions.

Tia.

Upvote 0
The contract you signed was for unlimited data, therefore they cannot change the terms without giving you the chance to opt out. Unlimited will remain until the end of your current contract or until you switch phones.

But wouldn't you still retain your plan if you simply bought a new/different phone at retail price if it was before your contract was up?

I know with at&t you're still grandfathered in even when you update phones and contracts...

Upvote 0

Most of the sheep will not notice or care. The other power users will be mad, but are you going to go to ATT with the horrible coverage and worse service for $5 a month?

Upvote 0
The majority won't have to afford $50-$80 per month for data, since 2GB for $30 will be more than adequate for the majority.

Regardless, the pricing sucks.

With the addition of Netflix and streaming, more people using Google Navigation, etc.. I think many people will be able to surpass 2GB given the speeds of LTE

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones