• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

Ah yes it seems there are a few steps missing for that part of the guide. You're phone needs to be have USB debugging turned on and you're phone set to charge only.

I will add that in to the guide when I get a chance.

Also:
power/fast boot - off
either backup SD or use a blank SD before using (great sticky in this section)

Upvote 0
Feedback is always allowed! :D

Was anything unclear to you? Any room for improvement?

Glad it could help you :)

One issue i ran into were the commands for the Ubuntu termial. I used the info from EarlyMon and hit tab and nothing would happen. So for changing the directory I just typed cd and the actual directory name. I couldn't finish the panda program in Linux because the commands weren't seeming to work. So I finished by going back to windows.

I bricked a half dozen times too, after your first recovery, It's no sweat. :D

Question for you: After your unbrick, did your sd card contents come back?

First time you ran feedpanda after the brick recovery it should have failed. Then the sd should have come back. Correct?

Twice mine did not. I'm still trying to figure out what causes the sd card contents to not come back.
I don't remember mine failing. When I got back into windows to run the program it just said old bamboo detected and starting doing it's thing. I used a blank SD card so there were no contents on it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
One issue i ran into were the commands for the Ubuntu termial. I used the info from EarlyMon and hit tab and nothing would happen. So for changing the directory I just typed cd and the actual directory name. I couldn't finish the panda program in Linux because the commands weren't seeming to work. So I finished by going back to windows.

I don't remember mine failing. When I got back into windows to run the program it just said old bamboo detected and starting doing it's thing. I used a blank SD card so there were no contents on it.

Sorry for that glitch!!

I'll look closely at redoing the instructions for that. :eek:

Upvote 0
My panda is starving!!!!
Can't get my phone recognized by adb. Figured I'd start with the SD backup via terminal since I've never done that before, Installed Ubuntu and mini SDK, had to install the 32 bit lib to get adb to work even tho I installed 32 bit Ubuntu.

USB debugging on and set to charge only, ./adb-linux devices returns no connection. Different usb ports, different cables including the one that came with the phone, restarted comp and phone several times, nothing works. Ran chmod on abd and fastboot like the mini guide says.

Pretty green on Linux (I used to kinda know something called Unix :D) I have the full SDK on Windows, didn't want to bother for now in Ubuntu. All advice I can find elsewhere is for developers and the full SDK. Do I need to edit the android rules files, and if so where are they? Am I editing 50 or 70 or some other number, do I need to install some kind of Java?

Figure I'm probably missing something simple, but I'm pretty stuck and don't want to get in too deep since the mini SDK guide, this guide, and the SD backup guide lead me to believe it should not be this complicated. Any ideas what I'm missing?

Toshiba Satellite x64 i3 2.08 G 4 megs, dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. ARRRRRRGGGHHH :)

Gonna sleep on it.

Upvote 0
You don't have hboot 1.15 do you?
Try using adb in windows to see if you get the connection.
Plug the phone in, change to the \android-sdk-windows/platform-tools folder and "adb devices"

Windows adb sees it just fine. LOL, I had to google how to get the command line to recognize cd program files <x86> -- forgot to use quotes. I AM rusty!!!

Still running Charmeleon, been too busy to mess with my phone since I got it to the point it wasn't pissing me off anymore. I have SOME time now, but don't want to waste it screwing with linux files I just heard of for the first time yesterday. Especially since I ain't gonna touch em until I know more that WHAT I'm changing. I need to read up on WHY I'm doing it (and I mean at least a moderately technical why) and need some idea of what to look for if I do it wrong.

Is it normal to have to go above and beyond the mini SDK instructions?(i.e. editing android rules and bashrc and/or installing java devolpment software) Seems to me that would be a common question if so, and I can only find reference to it for devs using the full SDK.

Upvote 0
The only thing that the full sdk buys you is making screen shots of your phone from your pc and also a development environment. That's it.

I use the full sdk for my own purposes, but my first Evo and this one I rooted and managed entirely with the mini sdk.

The point of running LazyPanda in Linux is that doing it is a dice roll. If the dice come up snake eyes, you will need to recover using Linux - no choice, no two ways about it. (recovery in Linux is not a roll of the dice, that's 100%)

There is no way to predict if you will or won't get a stuck phone, it's the nature of the exploit and snake eyes is as good an example as any.

If you feel lucky and have time to dink with Linux later if you do get stuck, go for the Windows way.

The signal going back and forth on the USB cable won't care about the operating system.

Did Charmeleon have the gameloft tweak? Anything that hoses device id in the build.prop file on the phone will stop LazyPanda.

I used Charmeleon but if in doubt, install a stock rom.

Upvote 0
Thanks Early, the thing is though I understand all that. I haven't even tried to run Panda yet since I have no "insurance" (linux recovery)

As I understand it:
If I run Panda and get snake-eyes, I have an expensive paperweight until I figure out how to get linux to recognize my device. I'm trying to figure out that issue first and basically want to know if anyone here has had to do anything similar to get adb to see the phone in linux. Should I edit rules, bashrc, etc(if that's necessary, I can't be the ONLY one, right? What I've found on other sites makes it sound normal, but not ONE single person in the related forums here has had the same issue? Seems like if it was necessary with the mini for our purposes, EVERYONE would have to mess with it, and it ain't even mentioned in the guides)or is my problem something totally different.

As for gameloft, I didn't do anything for that, was it included in some of the official releases? My build.prop has correct device id, would it be changed/deleted/obscured from the actual build.prop file if that was an issue?

I'll probably flash my root_inception nandroid tomorrow and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Ah. Ok, I think that I am following.

The only reason to tinker with your bashrc is to get adb and fastboot into your path.

Honestly, I don't bother. Here's my strategy.

I put the mini-sdk where convenient, usually under my home directory.

A terminal window takes me to home, so from there I go inside my folder -

cd mini-sdk

That's case-sensitive, mine is lower case. Once inside there, I can just specify to Linux, don't search the path, get what you need right here. Here's an example that will start the daemon (basically a kind of server) and report if the device is connected.

./adb-linux devices

Notice that command starts with dot-slash, same trick used in the instructions above.

Am I going in the right direction? Do you want help with unzipping the mini-sdk? Is this going towards helpful?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm good to that point, the daemon runs, but never recognizes my phone. I get ???????? for device.

Then it timed out, no connection to phone.

Make sure that USB debugging is turned on in the phone, phone is connected charge only.

If that is all good, try the command again.

If still failing, change to different USB port.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
My panda is starving!!!!
Can't get my phone recognized by adb. Figured I'd start with the SD backup via terminal since I've never done that before, Installed Ubuntu and mini SDK, had to install the 32 bit lib to get adb to work even tho I installed 32 bit Ubuntu.

USB debugging on and set to charge only, ./adb-linux devices returns no connection. Different usb ports, different cables including the one that came with the phone, restarted comp and phone several times, nothing works. Ran chmod on abd and fastboot like the mini guide says.

Pretty green on Linux (I used to kinda know something called Unix :D) I have the full SDK on Windows, didn't want to bother for now in Ubuntu. All advice I can find elsewhere is for developers and the full SDK. Do I need to edit the android rules files, and if so where are they? Am I editing 50 or 70 or some other number, do I need to install some kind of Java?

Figure I'm probably missing something simple, but I'm pretty stuck and don't want to get in too deep since the mini SDK guide, this guide, and the SD backup guide lead me to believe it should not be this complicated. Any ideas what I'm missing?

Toshiba Satellite x64 i3 2.08 G 4 megs, dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. ARRRRRRGGGHHH :)

Gonna sleep on it.

adb devices returns device ID In dos command prompt.
Can't get linux to do the same.

Upvote 0
No problem, thanks for wasting time on my crap!
Yes, went with 32 bit. ./adb-linux devices was not even recognized as a valid command at first. Had to run an install of the 32 bit libs before I could even get to where I am now. From what I've been able to find that should only have been necessary if I installed 64 bit. I waffled on 32 vs 64 for a bit, but went with 32 bit since I wasn't sure if that would add additional complications for sdk.
Tried running with and without sudo, same result either way.
Haven't had time to nand and retry, may reinstall Ubuntu too, not sure when. Got a neice's 1st bday and a bachelor party this weekend, plus an Illini game to watch.

Upvote 0
No problem, thanks for wasting time on my crap!
Yes, went with 32 bit. ./adb-linux devices was not even recognized as a valid command at first. Had to run an install of the 32 bit libs before I could even get to where I am now. From what I've been able to find that should only have been necessary if I installed 64 bit. I waffled on 32 vs 64 for a bit, but went with 32 bit since I wasn't sure if that would add additional complications for sdk.
Tried running with and without sudo, same result either way.
Haven't had time to nand and retry, may reinstall Ubuntu too, not sure when. Got a neice's 1st bday and a bachelor party this weekend, plus an Illini game to watch.
How about trying a LiveCD.... just burn to CD and boot from it.

Upvote 0
How about trying a LiveCD.... just burn to CD and boot from it.

yeah i must say that is what i did.

my hats off goes to Chief YYZ as i have no clue on unbutu and linux. but this is a good idea just to prepare ahead. because when things go wrong he will have the tools to fix it fairly easily, once all this is figured out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones