• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LV, IV, and SV

LV, IV, and SV stand for low, intermediate, and standard voltages. Always try low first. This copied right from fab's post about nexbeast v1.0 thread on his OP

Yeah I know what they mean, I'm just wondering how do each affect my phone? The difference in LV and IV is what besides voltage? Could it mean a cooler phone or warmer phone, better battery life or worse or what? I know it varies by phone, but I'm just wondering if each has a benefit....

Upvote 0
Yeah I know what they mean, I'm just wondering how do each affect my phone? The difference in LV and IV is what besides voltage? Could it mean a cooler phone or warmer phone, better battery life or worse or what? I know it varies by phone, but I'm just wondering if each has a benefit....

You answered your own question. ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah I know what they mean, I'm just wondering how do each affect my phone? The difference in LV and IV is what besides voltage? Could it mean a coole

You answered your own question. ;)

Did i? Lol ok Koo. LV for me on BeKit seems to get warm quick. Battery life is a bit quick to. Imma try IV.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Depends on what you want. You want more speed, then select LV and run a higher speed kernel. If you get reboots and freezing, then select MV and the kernel you want to fix that issue. Personally the speed boost in my opinion is not that much greater than 600MHz from a visual standpoint so I elect to run SV at 600MHz, which the CPU is rated to handle. When you start running any kernel that has LV or higher you will see a significant battery decrease and the battery decrease for me is just too great to ignore. Not to mention uneccesary heat that your battery and CPU would be subjected to.

Upvote 0
When you start running any kernel that has LV or higher you will see a significant battery decrease and the battery decrease for me is just too great to ignore. Not to mention uneccesary heat that your battery and CPU would be subjected to.

actually, since you are running at a lower voltage (LV) you can run faster with potentially less heat and better battery life. this is of course dependent on how fast you are overclocking the proc. at some point, you will run hotter and with less battery life, but if you run LV at the standard clock speed then you will use less battery and run cooler as well.

Upvote 0
actually, since you are running at a lower voltage (LV) you can run faster with potentially less heat and better battery life. this is of course dependent on how fast you are overclocking the proc. at some point, you will run hotter and with less battery life, but if you run LV at the standard clock speed then you will use less battery and run cooler as well.

I should have been clearer as that comparison was low voltage versus stock voltage. When you run anything above stock voltage, you will have a significant decrease in battery life and have increased temperatures. The benefit as you've mention about running low voltage over stock voltage is increased clock speed options, which allow you to run faster, but that's it. I haven't seen any speed boost that are worth the battery life you give up. Many people have had problems running 1.3GHz at low voltage so they bumped of the current draw to increased voltage or medium voltage depending on the kernel being used and it has in all cases that I've seen stabilized there phones.

On my phone running BB V1.0, low voltage .8GHz, and 1GHz kernels from bekit or P3 didn't give my phone better battery life, nor did it make it run cooler than stock voltage. I was to the point were I was just going to run stock 2.1 with the stock kernel as I saw my battery life and lower temps improve tremendously. But I decided to give bekit stock voltage 600MHz a whirl and was satisfied with the results. If I could run the stock kernel for 2.1 with a custom theme, I would do that for battery life purposes, but I don't that is an option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones