• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help m4a files not recognised in samsung music player

Hi there,

Recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S II form the Galaxy S and I kept all my music on the SD card. My music library was originally from iTunes with a mishmash of mp3 wma and m4a files and I successfully got it working on my Galaxy S with all the right album art and recognised all file types. All I did on upgrade was to transfer the SD card from one phone to the other. Simples. However with the Galaxy S II the Samsung Music Player doesn't appear to recognise the m4a files anymore. Its exactly the same media library.... (physically!)

I notice on the Galaxy S II I don't get the "Media scanner running..." in the notification bar anymore like I did with the Galaxy S whenever I disconnected the USB...

Anyone got any ideas? Is there a simple setting to get the player to recognise m4a.

Hi there,

Recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S II form the Galaxy S and I kept all my music on the SD card. My music library was originally from iTunes with a mishmash of mp3 wma and m4a files and I successfully got it working on my Galaxy S with all the right album art and recognised all file types. All I did on upgrade was to transfer the SD card from one phone to the other. Simples. However with the Galaxy S II the Samsung Music Player doesn't appear to recognise the m4a files anymore. Its exactly the same media library.... (physically!)

I notice on the Galaxy S II I don't get the "Media scanner running..." in the notification bar anymore like I did with the Galaxy S whenever I disconnected the USB...

Anyone got any ideas? Is there a simple setting to get the player to recognise m4a.

Mine plays m4a do they have drm?

Upvote 0
As I learnt recently, m4a supports multiple codecs. AAC is supported by Android (although not all the metadata is read correctly) but Apple Lossless isn't.

Although I would have preferred not to, I have had to perform surgery on my iTunes database to get it to play nicely with my SGS2 and I have converted all my m4a (Apple Lossless) files into mp3.

Sadly the integration with iTunes is very poor, even if you are prepared to shell out for an expensive 3rd party application. In fact, integration with anything seems to be pretty crap.

This is a great phone, but when it comes to syncing, Apple have got Samsung knocked into a cocked hat - they are streets ahead.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having the same issue. I have m4a files ripped by iTunes as non-DRM files. I can play them in multiple non-iTunes players, but the default music player for my Galaxy S2 doesn't see them. If I use Astro File Manager, I can see the actual files in my media folder and I can even play them (using "Music Player", which seems to be different than the default "Music" app),so I know for a fact that my phone can and will play m4a files. It's just an issue of getting the Music app to recognize these files. I suppose I could try to find a replacement music app which doesn't have this issue... any recommendations?

Upvote 0
hmm.. i think if ur going to be using ur android to play music, ur better off converting all to mp3. i tried it too, and my Music app played all the files fine, it recognized them, but the artist/title info and artwork were all over the place. mp3 works beautifully. if ur looking for a great player, i heartily recommend UberMusic. its a new app, and for smooth UI and looks, tis the best :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones