1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

M4v frustrations

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Slugdoc, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I know the general topic has been discussed, but I can't find an answer to this specific issue.

Downloaded a music video on itunes. It is xx.m4v. ERIS's media app (Albums) won't play it.

From what I understand, there is no DRM anymore on iTunes purchases (and I'm not sure that the videos had DRM anyway - how do you tell? With music it was obvious - protected AAC, but video?)

So, per various posts, i tried changing the extension to .mp4 (since it already should be mp4 format). But no dice, still won't play.

Would like to have this solved today -- any help?

(The video codec is H.264, so it should be playable)

Thanks

2. n2imagination

n2imagination Well-Known Member

Slugdog,

New to forums so bear with the poor formating. I too had this prob at first but found that when I installed free version of mixzing player that it played the m4v files. I also went into file associations in the droid and added a file type for m4v to set it to default to be a movie type file as it wasn't in the list of known files orig. They play just fine now and i use avs to convert them to ipod m4v files and works great.

3. Geekasaurus

Geekasaurus Lurker

You can try changing the file extension to .mp4

No conversion needed. Its a little known trick that M4v is really just mp4.

If its a locked DRM song it might not work. Works well for my stubborn ones.

4. Slugdoc

As indicated, I had done that. The reason I posted the question was that that didn't work.

Is it necessary to change the physical dimensions of the file for it to run on Eris?
    (It is 640 x 352)

5. Slugdoc

Update -
    Using HandBrake, I reconverted the m4v files to mp4 (even though I know they should be the same thing) and changed the dimensions to 480 x whatever.

I tried some various other tweaks (ipod v5 compatible, legacy ipod profile...) the best I could get was to have the Media player not complain, play the audio, but still show a green screen rather than the correct video.

I paid for the music video on the itunes store, and am very annoyed to not be able to play it on the Eris.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews