1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support M8 box wired speed got slower as I upgraded my speed!!!

Discussion in 'TV & Video' started by Wade Khalil, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Wade Khalil

Wade Khalil Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2016
    Male
    My m8 box is connected via the Ethernet and always got around 85 MG on average. I recently upgraded my internet speed to a higher speed package and I cans see the difference on all my devices except the m8 box which is now slower then before. I am getting 50 MG on the Ethernet. I would expect that my m8 wired connection would give a blazing fast speed now but that's not the case. Any one had this same issue??

Advertisement

2. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    What do the various online Internet websites measure your speed at?

(megabytes or megabits)

3. Wade Khalil

Wade Khalil Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2016
    Male
    I use the speedtest.net (Ookla) and it's in Mbps. So now I am getting 50 Mbps on a wired connection on my M8 box. Before the upgrade it used to be around 85 Mbps. However, I tested other device like laptops and on wifi I am getting close to
    145 Mbps

4. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    It could be that any upgrade in your ISP speeds is being offset by the length and /or quality of the cable connecting the router and the box.

Perhaps you could use the WiFi on the box rather than the cable... or upgrade the cable.

5. Wade Khalil

Wade Khalil Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2016
    Male
    I will try upgrading the cable I hope it will make a difference. I understand that wired connection should be faster . I have more than one box connected via wire and we watch in internet based TV on more than one box at the same time so I am afraid it would be too much on wifi

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Your Ethernet cable 'could' be the problem but note that unless it's physically damaged (kinked up or something like that) the max length is 328 feet/100 meters before you need to start worrying about any degradation, and as far as type the general specs are Cat5 will go up to 100Mbps, Cat5e 1000Mbps, Cat6 10Gbps so if you're using a Cat5 cable might be time to just get a newer one.
    Also, I wouldn't opt to use WiFi over wired. With an Ethernet cable it's always using a full duplex connection, send and receive signals take place at the same time. With WiFi, it's always half-duplex, signals can only be sent OR received. All things being equal (measured on the same LAN), wired will always be faster than wireless. When content is being streamed to your M8 it's almost all one-way anyway so the duplex vs half-duplex issue isn't a real issue, but WiFi also has inherent latency and noise floor issues that wired does not.
    As for having more than multiple devices using your WiFi at the same time, it's probably more a matter of bandwidth than number of devices. On even a mid-range wireless router you can get over 30 active connections without a problem, as long as there's the enough bandwidth. Some cheap models are limited to 10 or less. With a 145 Mbps connection you should be OK having people watching different things, unless you're all into high definition content. For instance a standard def Netflix show only requires 3 Mbps.
    Regarding your WiFi router, do you have your own or is it an ISP-supplied modem/router? What model I.D. is it?

vickersg and Andrew Cole like this.
  7. Wade Khalil

Wade Khalil Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2016
    Male
    Yes I have xfininty/Comcast supplied router CI DPC3939

8. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK, that's not a bad modem/router but you'd be able to have more control and be able to optimize your own home LAN using your own wireless router. You probably have a copy already but here's the online PDF:
    http://setuprouter.com/router/cisco/dpc3939-xfinity/manual-1830.pdf
    While it is odd that your seeing your M8's connection speed drop to 50 Mbps from 85, is this a constant issue or a have you measured its speed at different times of the day? If you have other family members in other parts of your home watching higher resolution content it could have just been a drop in speed. The best time to do any kind of speed test is when nobody else is using it, otherwise your results won't reflect your actual bandwidth. Also, are you seeing any pauses or buffering on your M8 since you've upgraded your cable account? A standard definition video needs about 3 Mbps, a 4K video around 15-25 Mbps (different services use different compression schemes) so even at 50 Mbps your M8 box is still getting an adequate feed.