• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

M8S Plus Quad Core?

MyDogJosh

Lurker
Dec 6, 2016
I just got the M8S Plus quad core. I am enjoying it a lot but is it working as it should be.

When running Kodi, if I go to the Settings and System information, I can only see two cores working.

Is this usual? Will I only see 4 cores running if I use the box for something other than Exodus movie streaming, such running a 4K video, for instance?

Thanks

The 'quad core' epithet is a bit of a misnomer as the cores are not the same and they do different things at different times.

For example; an 'octacore' smartphone (like the Huawei P9 Lite) has eight cores - four are more powerful than the other four which are dedicated to more demanding jobs. They are not all used at the same time.

These CPUs are NOT the same as Intel and AMD CPUs which have equal power in each core and divide and conquer their processing duties.

In short - your device is working correctly.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
The 'quad core' epithet is a bit of a misnomer as the cores are not the same and they do different things at different times.

For example; an 'octacore' smartphone (like the Huawei P9 Lite) has eight cores - four are more powerful than the other four which are dedicated to more demanding jobs. They are not all used at the same time.

These CPUs are NOT the same as Intel and AMD CPUs which have equal power in each core and divide and conquer their processing duties.

In short - your device is working correctly.
Thank you for verifying that for me

Reactions: Andrew Cole
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones