• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

M9X tv box firmware upgrade from Lollipop 5.1 to newest.

Darfyddi

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
Hi all, I have, according to amazon, the following:

BQEEL M9X Android TV Box Amlogic S905 Chipset Kodi 16.0 Full Loaded Android 5.1 Lollipop OS TV Box Quad Core 1G/8G 4K Google Streaming Media Players with WiFi HDMI DLNA

I have searched and found loads about MQX, M9C etc but am I right in thinking that firmware has to be specific for whatever make my box is and M9X?

We use it for catch up TV but BBC iPlayer no longer works and I guess it is due to Lollipop 5.1. The automatic firmware update does not work and I can not find online a specific firmware pack for M9X - loads for MXQ etc but I am worried I will brick it if I don't find a specific M9X update.

Almost every site I have found keeps going on about Kodi - I know it is on the box but I still don't know what it is and therefore do not care about at the moment. All I want to do is to see if I can install the latest or one of the latest Android OS on it. And before anyone suggests 'just buy a new box' - we are saving up for a nvidia shield or something similar but that will be about 10 months of saving for us.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction I shall be very greatful, thank you and thank you for your time to read this.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones