1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mac Rooting Problem. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nick7893, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

I'm attempting to root my Bionic running the new .904 leak. I've read where others have been successful, however every time I try to run motofail on my mac(10.7.3), it says

"daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully"

I'm not sure what that means. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

3. Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock Well-Known Member

Rooting a Macintosh is not difficult at all.

Just run the application found at /Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager.app

Go to the “Security” menu, select “Authenticate”, and enter the username and password for an account that has admin access.

Go to the “Security” menu again, and select “Enable Root User”.

That's it. Now your Macintosh is rooted.

4. Jeffery

Jeffery Android Enthusiast

In UNIX a "daemon" is a background process. What you are seeing in the Terminal is just motofail beginning the rooting process. Just follow the steps that should appear below "* daemon started successfully" in the Terminal and you will be fine.

5. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert

If rooting isn't working, I would probably FXZ to 902, root, then use OTA Root Keeper and update again.

6. eyedea

eyedea Member

Make sure you are trying to run the Motofail for Mac.
    Get it here... Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
    Motofail works for .904

5thAgent likes this.
  7. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

After it says successful nothing happens.... I'm trying to troubleshoot, I just don't know where to begin.

8. eyedea

eyedea Member

After "daemon started successfully" nothing happens?
    Are you using the cord that came with your phone?
    Your phone is set to USB debugging?

9. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

Yes to all of the above

10. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

Here's what's happening, thought it'd be easier to show. I used eyedea's link, the stock usb cable, in debugging, in charge-only; and I dont know what to do. It sat idle like this for well over 30min

Attached Files:

11. Satires

Satires Android Expert

This may sound stupid of me. I don't clearly remember but, I think I had my usb setting on "pc" and not "charge only" when I rooted. Sorry if I'm wrong. Maybe see if another member chimes in to see if it were to hurt your phone before trying my suggestion. :)

Edit: I rooted running ubuntu linux, it hung in the process kinda like yours but I don't remember what the error was. I could of swore at that point that's when I changed my usb setting to "pc" and it suddenly found my device. Again, forgive me if I'm wrong, it might be worth a try. :)

12. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

I'll definitely give it a try, and I'd also like to thank everyone on this forum for how helpful they are. Truly a wonderful place

13. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

Nothing... *sigh*

14. Satires

Satires Android Expert

Sorry... :(

Maybe as the other member posted. Go back to. 902, root and then get that for ever root thing... :)

15. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

How would I flash 902 on a mac? I know how to do it on a pc, I just don't have one.

16. eyedea

eyedea Member

Did you follow this: a Linux/OSX version of the script is available here. Same deal: USB debugging mode, attach to PC, extract zip file, change into the zip directory, and invoke

17. Satires

Satires Android Expert

I'm sorry, I'm not sure with a Mac. I run ubuntu and just happened to have a windows machine sitting around.

I wish there was a script to reflash the bionic with linux/mac cuz I hate windows.

What I do when I need to know something is just google what I need to know and gather my information from various sources and rarely just one. :)

18. Nick7893

Nick7893 Newbie

Installed windows via virtual box and just did it on there. Thanks! Now.... What roms to flash

19. Satires

Satires Android Expert

Eclipse is pretty awesome, I just loaded it last night. :) I don't think I'll be going back to stock. :D

20. pleanbean

pleanbean Newbie

Glad you got it to work. Just for the future, I was hanging at 'daemon started successfully' until I switched from PC mode to Charge Only mode, then found my device immediately and rooted without any problems. Good luck to everyone.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews