• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mac Wi-Fi Hot spot for Droid?

metadog

Oct 21, 2010
Hi! I have a brand new loaded Mac Pro at my office and a Droid 2. My big challenge is that I have ZERO reception on my Droid where I sit at my office. I am in a dead zone. I was thinking it would be cool if I could create a Wi-Fi hot spot with either the built in AirPort or Bluetooth capabilities of the Mac.

I have been experimenting with this and have found some tutorials online. Here is what I have run into. I have been able to activate AirPort (AirPort Options: Channel set to "automatic", WEP encryption enabled - 40-bit, password in place) and my Droid "sees" my Mac, has the correct WEP password... But my Droid will go through this continuous loop: Scanning... Connecting... Disconnected... and will not connect.

Are the two devices incompatible? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
-M

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones