1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support MacFett (or anyone who can help)--please help with Minitool problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by raynoldsk, Jun 21, 2011.

1. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    :eek:

Hi, MacFett--

I was trying to follow your tutorial to use Link2SD, and am having a problem.

I downloaded the Minitool program, formatted the new SD card to FAT32 and started the program.

I resized the drive's partition to 2 g, marked it primary, then tied to create FAT32 a partition with the remaining 6 or so g.

I get a message telling me Windows will not see the new partition since it is a removable drive (or something along those lines) and asking if I want to continue. I say yes. I change the default type to FAT32 mark it as logical and hit apply.

I get Error 3, I/O.

I can't find anything in Google that seems to address this--everything is for something other than an SD card.

I am unfamiliar with Minitool, even though it seems very straightforward, and cannot find help on their site for this problem.

Is there something special I need to do for an SD card that I am overlooking?

Do you have any idea how to help?

(I checked the disk, found no errors, and even reformatted it just in case, but got the same error...about seven times.)

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Ok, you want to start with 1 large partition. Then make a 2nd smaller one. That way windows will see the large partition. I think you format it, then change it's size. Decrease it by the amount you want the other partition to be. Then create the 2nd partition from the free space.

If that doesn't work I'll dig out one of my old SD cards and run through it for you.

raynoldsk likes this.
  3. raynoldsk

None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    Oh, thank you-- I will try that!

Mark the smaller one as primary, though--right?

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Yes, both marked as primary.

5. raynoldsk

None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    It is just flatly refusing to cooperate with me.

I tried putting the larger partition first, and it gave me the same error.

I been tried a different micro sd card, thinking maybe it was the card. No better.

Clearly this does work, as you and others have done it, but it simply will not do what I tell it to do.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

6. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    I started with my 2gb uSD and formatted it FAT32, apply.
    Click move/resize partition and shrink the partition until there is ~512megs of free space. Click ok.

I now have my FAT32 partition and my unallocated disk space. Click on the grey bar, the unallocated space and click create partition. You'll get the warning that windows won't be able to read it blah blah blah. Hit OK. Now you'll have the window to set it as primary or logical. You want Primary. Then set the file system as FAT32 and make sure all of the free space is used. Click OK and you'll be back at the main window.

Click the apply button on the top, it is a big check mark. The Apply PEnding Operations Window will come up and show you of your progress. Then hopefully you'll get the All Operations Performed Successfully window.

AndyOpie150 and raynoldsk like this.
  7. raynoldsk

None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    IT WORKED!

I was formatting the "regular" way, and not within Minitool. Formatted within the program like you said, and begorry it worked!

It would not have occurred to me that that would make a difference, but it did.

Thank you so much, MacFett!

8. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    It shouldn't have made too much difference. The first time I did mine, I did it without formatting. I just resized my uSD in minitool with all of my stuff on the card (backed up first of course).

Anyway, glad it worked. I currently have 159 apps "on my card" and 15 apps "phone only" that are linked and 92.21MB of free space.

Tags: