• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Made the switch

chris4x4

Android Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2011
Ive been using Moto phones for a while now. RAZR MAXX, then the MAXX HD. Battery life is #1 on my list, with #2 being an SD card reader, so the new Droid MAXX was out. Im giving the M8 a shot, and so far (after 1 day), Im happy. Nice and smooth, fast, and Im gonna be seeing how the battery life compares to the MAXX HD.

Reactions: KOLIO
Day 2 update:
After seeming to have sub par battery life, I decided to do some tests myself. Im not a heavy user, with most things set to manually sync. Weather refresh in 1 hour, some texting, and phone calls. Yesterday, After about 12 hours of time off charger, I was at around 70% battery, with 4 mins of Angry Birds, 30 mins of phone calls, a few texts, email, and about 45 mins screen on time. I decided to throw the Power hammer at this thing, and turned on the WiFi, and played a 50 min Pink Floyd video at 50% screen time. Then, I loaded up an 1 hour and 30 min Van Halen concert, and bumped the display to 75% brightness. During the video, I had to field more calls, so I had to pause it from time to time. Video ended, so I throw some more Angry Birds at it. Anyway......After 16.5 hours off the charger, 4 hours and 15 mins screen on time, 1 hour of phone calls, and some misc light use, the phone was FINNALY at 8% battery life. In comparison to my MAXX HD, 1 hour of calls, light use, and 2.5 hours of screen time, would have put the battery at 25%. The MAXX HD has GREAT standby time, and easily goes 2 days off the charger with light use. However, me thinks the HTC One M8 has a much better battery life when actually being used.

Interesting thing to mention......yesterday at this time, 3 hours off charger, I was down about 10% with very very little use. Today, Im only down 3% with the same use.

Upvote 0
1 week down. I no longer miss my MAXX at ALL. This thing easily seems to last all day. 18 hours off charger this weekend, and went to bed with over 50% battery. The most my average drain has been, according to GSM Battery Monitor, was 3.3% per hour. Im pegging 2% average with my normal day to day use. Signal strength was also a concern, as Moto is known for having the "best" radios. I live in a fringe area, and my signal db is the same on the M8, as it was with the MAXX. It also seems the 3G to 4G handoff is a little faster than on the MAXX.
Happiness level = 9.5 out of 10.

Upvote 0
HTC is really hitting hone runs with the One line, especially after added SD card slot with the OneMax.

Curious, how's the 2 cameras on back work?

I haven't played around much with the camera options, however, the low light pics blow the droid line away. Day time pics are a bit better than the max, but given the lower pixel rating, cant be "blown up" as large.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones