• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Made the Verizon guy SO JEALOUS with 2.1

See, that's where we disagree. I had 1.5 until the leak (got Eris on Nov 3rd) and I found 1.5 slower, laggy, awful battery life, end button would always redial, no navigation, all kinds of things that made the phone iffy. I've not seen many, if any, bugs on 2.1. Certainly not more than on 1.5.

Agreed, completely. Not only is my 2.1 phone faster and more feature-rich than it was with 1.5, it's less buggy as well.

Upvote 0
Counting the number of posts in the bugs and fixes thread to show how buggy 2.1 is, isn't an accurate way to judge it. The majority of those posts are about 3 or maybe 4 issues being repeated over and over. The one that is probably discussed the most isn't even a problem with the leak, but a problem with a third party app.

The other 2 "major" problems are that gmail won't show embedded images and people have to sign back into gmail after a reboot. The embedded images problem is a global Android problem with 2.0+ from what I understand. Complaining about it in the 2.1 leak is the same as complaining that bluetooth voice dialing won't work in 2.1. Having to sign back into gmail after a restart....oh boo hoo.:rolleyes: It is a minor annoyance for people that restart their phone all the time.

The only real legitimate problems, IMHO, that people can complain about are the signal meter and the links in some apps. This isn't to say that the phone gets weak signal, but that the meter shows weak signal a lot. The only reason this is a problem is that it can actually burn through the battery a little faster. The link issue is annoying, but plenty of people have found ways around it and it isn't 100% in all apps. I only have one app (urbanspoon) that has the issue.

With all of that said, the only issues I actually have are the link issues in that one app and the lack of embedded images in gmail. Everything else works perfectly and I am extremely happy with 2.1.

Upvote 0
So, you didn't think it was me because you agreed with it? :D

I know that some will refuse to believe it.

no, i just meant "that can't be", like sarcastically, i don't believe it....

not that it wasn't you.

Thread-Offtopic-Derailed.jpg

Upvote 0
Counting the number of posts in the bugs and fixes thread to show how buggy 2.1 is, isn't an accurate way to judge it. The majority of those posts are about 3 or maybe 4 issues being repeated over and over. The one that is probably discussed the most isn't even a problem with the leak, but a problem with a third party app.

The other 2 "major" problems are that gmail won't show embedded images and people have to sign back into gmail after a reboot. The embedded images problem is a global Android problem with 2.0+ from what I understand. Complaining about it in the 2.1 leak is the same as complaining that bluetooth voice dialing won't work in 2.1. Having to sign back into gmail after a restart....oh boo hoo.:rolleyes: It is a minor annoyance for people that restart their phone all the time.

The only real legitimate problems, IMHO, that people can complain about are the signal meter and the links in some apps. This isn't to say that the phone gets weak signal, but that the meter shows weak signal a lot. The only reason this is a problem is that it can actually burn through the battery a little faster. The link issue is annoying, but plenty of people have found ways around it and it isn't 100% in all apps. I only have one app (urbanspoon) that has the issue.

With all of that said, the only issues I actually have are the link issues in that one app and the lack of embedded images in gmail. Everything else works perfectly and I am extremely happy with 2.1.

Bluetooth dialing doesn't work?

You just stopped me, single-handedly, with this post, from going to (root) 2.1.

I bluetooth dial on the road all the time for work.

That stinks.

I'd love to make the Verizon guys jealous with 2.1.

Upvote 0
In general the 2.1 leak is working well for me. I still have one problem that bugs me. Apps that use an embedded web link can't open the link. Here's a few apps that this happens in. Could anyone let me know if this isn't happening for you?

1) WHERE - Go to Menu/About WHERE, the embedded web page link tries to open and I get a "Web page not available error"

2) Huffington Post - Go to any page with a video link and tap on the link. It opens and embedded web page that is supposed to open the video, I get the same error as above.

3) Astrid - when trying to sync with Remember the Milk the first time, the app trys to open an embedded link to the RTM login page. I get the same error as above and therefore can't ever log in to sync with RTM.

Are any of these working for any of you out there who are using the 2.1 leak? If so, maybe I need to re-flash or something.

Also, some applications seem to indicate an error trying to identify the Mobile Data connection. For example, Quick Settings show the Mobile data as "No APN configured". There is a similar error (an X through the APN button) on JuiceDefender. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones