• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Magic/Rogers radio problem

Forts

Aug 6, 2010
I'm having an odd problem with my Magic and I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I've got an HTC Magic on Rogers that I rooted and flashed to CM5 stable about a month ago. Everything runs great, except occasionally (sometimes once a day, sometimes more) the radio seems to go into la-la land. The 3G icon will disappear, but I still show bars.... however there is no connectivity. Once it falls into this state it seems to kill the battery quite quickly. The only way to wake it back up is to reboot the phone or to toggle airplane mode on then back off. When CM6 stable came out a few days ago, I thought I would give that a shot and see if it made any difference... unfortunately it didn't (runs great otherwise though!). I'm currently using radio version 3.22.26.17... is there perhaps another version I can try?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Update: I just got looking thru my Network settings and I had 3 APN's listed (Rogers 1, Rogers 2 and Rogers MMS I think). With Rogers 1 selected, it would register and I would get the 3G icon. With Rogers 2, it wouldn't... so I've deleted the Rogers 2 entry. Perhaps that was my issue.

I'm having an odd problem with my Magic and I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I've got an HTC Magic on Rogers that I rooted and flashed to CM5 stable about a month ago. Everything runs great, except occasionally (sometimes once a day, sometimes more) the radio seems to go into la-la land. The 3G icon will disappear, but I still show bars.... however there is no connectivity. Once it falls into this state it seems to kill the battery quite quickly. The only way to wake it back up is to reboot the phone or to toggle airplane mode on then back off. When CM6 stable came out a few days ago, I thought I would give that a shot and see if it made any difference... unfortunately it didn't (runs great otherwise though!). I'm currently using radio version 3.22.26.17... is there perhaps another version I can try?

Update: I just got looking thru my Network settings and I had 3 APN's listed (Rogers 1, Rogers 2 and Rogers MMS I think). With Rogers 1 selected, it would register and I would get the 3G icon. With Rogers 2, it wouldn't... so I've deleted the Rogers 2 entry. Perhaps that was my issue.

You can use the pre E911 magic radio 3.22.20.17

Be warned though that if you haven't filled out the Rogers Waiver, they will cut your data off when (not if) they detect your phone with this radio. I don't have a link to the waiver, maybe someone else does.

gbd

Upvote 0
GBD: Is there not a radio that fools the scan so that you do not have to sign the waiver? a newer version of the radio that will pass the sniff test?

Hi Mike,

That's the radio that OP listed in his post, it's actually the most recent Dream radio. He says he is having problems and wants to try a different radio. The only other one that will work with CM is the one I linked for him. It's the actual 3.x magic radio from before the E911 upgrade

Upvote 0

I just thought of it, you could try the APN settings from post# 21 in this thread.

http://androidforums.com/rogers/160964-cyanogenmod-6-0-stable-froyo-2-2-out.html

gbd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones