• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Magic -- Traveling aboard..

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a questions for the magic users. I have been using HTC Magic for almost a year now and loving it. I am traveling aboard and want to know if there is a way I can disable data/3G/Mobile internet from the phone so that I don't use data connection and avoid receiving a 1000+ dollars bill when i return. I just want to use this phone as a WIFI device while away be able to use the internet where WIFI is available.

Thanks;

Quick Settings from the Market has the option to turn mobile data off all together.

I don't have a data plan at all, but my carrier at least doesn't charge me when I attempt to use data and just sends me a text message saying "You've attempted to use data but do no have a data plan. here are your options: etc....".

Before Quick Settings, I was getting those annoying texts like 3-4+ times a day when my phone would attempt to use data for some app or back ground task.

Quick Settings just edits your APN settings to accomplish this, so they are invalid and you can't connect to network data at all. It is an easy on/off toggle though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones