• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Magnetic case causing accelerometer problems?

Masterchief87

Android Expert
May 27, 2014
South Florida
So I got my 2013 Nexus 7 about 5 months ago. I managed to find the 32gb wifi model in like new condition for $150 with a MOKO case with magnetic screen cover. At first I thought that the auto wake up feature was great but in the last month I started having an issue with the accelerometer not working. The screen would get stuck in either portrait or landscape mode and I'd have to reboot the tablet to get it working right. At first I thought it was a problem with the custom ROM I was using ( CarbonROM ) but I flashed the stock 4.4.4 firmware and the issue still wasn't fixed. In the last couple days it started getting so bad that a reboot wouldn't fix the problem anymore and it finally occurred to me that the magnetic case might be causing the problem. This mprning I decided to remove it from the magnetic case and now it works just like the day I got it.

It's too soon for me to say definitively that the case was causing the problem but in a few more days I will know for sure. Is it possible that the magnets in tablet cases can over time cause the device to malfunction?

The accelerometer is messing up again so it turns out that this was all a coincidence and the magnets in my case had nothing to do with it. I removed the cover and other magnets for nothing. :(
I really should learn to be more patient.
Edit: I just did some searching and found THIS PAGE. It appears that auto rotate not working is a somewhat common problem and that sometimes magnetic cases can potentially be a cause.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems like the real problem was that I would keep it up and running for days at a time. I now shut it down when I'm not using it and I haven't had any auto rotation problems in the last month. Really wishing I hadn't cut the screen cover/stand off my case lol.
Its funny, I've suggested rebooting daily to a few ppl and they act like its the most difficult and ridiculous thing they have ever heard. Like " I've never had to do that before why should I have to do that now?
In reality you should restart any broadband device at least once a week to keep it running at optimum efficiency.

Reactions: mydian and alfick3
Upvote 0
It seems like the real problem was that I would keep it up and running for days at a time. I now shut it down when I'm not using it and I haven't had any auto rotation problems in the last month. Really wishing I hadn't cut the screen cover/stand off my case lol.
Despite reboots, the autorotate continues to lock up throughout the day on my nexus 7.

Upvote 0
Its a loose ribbon cable that runs across the battery. Just wiggles out a tiny bit & disables the accelerometer. Literally just fixed mine.

Courtesy of this fellow

http://blog.daum.net/enue81/2
If that is the problem then why does mine work again after being shut off for a few hours? I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just curious.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones