1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Accessories Magnetic lock in case, is that bad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mirose, Mar 26, 2010.

1. mirose

mirose Active Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Hi all!

I will recive my Hero today, finaly. It has been some problems getting this one in Sweden for some time now but this is going to be a great weekend:D

I do have a question and i found two other post regarding this but not a answer that can confirm the problem.

My Hero will come wit a flip style case with some kind of magnetic lock, will this really affect the GPS/Compass?

Best Regards
    Micke

Advertisement

2. bomber12

bomber12 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Midlands UK.
    Hi mirose

I bought my hero just to use Google sky map. I had numerous problems with sky map, and any other applications which relied on using it's compass and accelerometers.

I solved these problems by disposing of my flip top case which had a magnetic clasp. If you think of it, any stray magnetic field will make a compass read inaccurately.

I suggest you ignore any case with a magnetic clasp. Even the ones sold by HTC. My Hero, and google sky maps are working perfectly with a sleeve case.

Now I've started someting.

3. A magnetic clasp will also interfere with the screen rotation as I found out after spending an evening trying to figure out how I had broken the screen rotation. Removed it from the case and magicaly the screen rotated.

Gordon

4. Saint2710

Saint2710 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Industrial Engineer
    Northumberland UK
    Yes same happened to me. Get rid of the magnet and use velcro.

5. hunklanders

hunklanders New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Will the magnetometer recover when one stops using a magnet snap case?

6. bomber12

bomber12 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Midlands UK.
    My Hero started working correctly, immediately after I removed it from its magnetic case.

I have had no problems since, with my compass or google sky map.

Hope this helps.

Tags: