1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Magnets & Screens

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BLACKTOOTHGRIN, Jul 11, 2013.

1. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

BLACKTOOTHGRIN Android Enthusiast

Can the Magnets that are used to hold the front facing flap shut on a leather case harm the screen of a smartphone?
    I'm asking in reference to both regular TFT LCD screens as well as Super Amoled screens.

Would those Magnets harm anything else in a smartphone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I don't believe they're powerful enough to cause any damage. Certainly not over the normal life of a phone anyway.

A tab like the Nexus 7 was designed to be used with magnetic cases (when you opened a case with a magnetic cover, the screen on the N7 turned on), they wouldn't have designed it that way if it was going to cause problems.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Nah itl be fine. The speakers have magnets in them and the vibration motor. Its just the old CRT tvs/monitors that had problems with magnets because of how they phisicly work :thumbup:

BLACKTOOTHGRIN likes this.
  4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

Ah, I am old enough to recall the days when, if you didn't like someone, for some reason, all you had to do was place a magnet-tipped pen to his floppy disk and all his data was gone!

5. funkylogik

Lmao yeah were old. I still actually have some 3.5" floppys kickin around somewhere from an old synthesizer :)

6. nickdalzell

3.5? Oh no, I was talking 5.25" floppies. The truly floppy kind. Folks used to call the 3.5 inchers "hard disks" by mistake because they didn't flop around.

You could zap a Casio graphing calculator with a powerful enough magnet, take that nerds!

7. funkylogik

Lol yeah i remember in school they had the floppy floppy disks but they never let me near the computer (singular) :(
    Wtf lol how could a magnet mess with a calculator? Did it work with valve technology? :D

8. nickdalzell

It was the late 1980s, electronics weren't shielded as they are today. A speaker magnet could cause amusing errors in an old graphing calculator. Only the truly rich kids had one, I think they cost equivalent to an unsubsidized Galaxy S4 then. Like an Apple fan, they endlessly boasted the BASIC language and gaming capability (which amounted to various clones of the later Nokia cellphone game "snake") and made fun of us for our "cheap" old 9v driven TI-30s, well, until someone with a speaker magnet tapped the unit and ZAP!

funkylogik likes this.
  9. funkylogik

Lmao. Oh man "Basic"! I remember learning to use basic on our Commodore 64.... that was time well spent.. not! :banghead: :D

10. nickdalzell

Count your blessings. I lived through the horror that was MS-DOS! Abort, retry, fail, much?

11. funkylogik

Lol well (for a very short time before i got thrown out the class) i had to learn raw machine code :) tbh i preferred that to basic in a way though :beer:

12. nickdalzell

I had a lot of fun pulling the token ring coax from the back of the class computers in high school, essentially rendering the entire school network inoperable. The daisy chain is only as strong as its EtherLink!

13. Joelgp83

Joelgp83 Android Enthusiast

Ah, for the days in which you could conjure up a fail by commanding it instead of waiting for someone to upload the footage to youtube.... :p

funkylogik likes this.
  14. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

BLACKTOOTHGRIN Android Enthusiast

Wow....
    looks like this thread has taken a blast from the past sort of turn,
    but I suppose my question WAS pretty dated. :smokingsomb:
    I just wanted to make sure though.
    I always heard that magnets could damage screens,
    so it made me scratch my head as to why they would put them in cases.
    Didn't want to mess up my new S4 (or any of my others) with anything like that.
    Thanks.;)

funkylogik likes this.
  15. funkylogik

Thanks for giving us an excuse to go off topic and chat crap bro lol :beer::)

16. nickdalzell

17. funkylogik